In the world of the Logomancer, everyone is connected to a communal dreamworld known as the Mindscape. During sleep, everyone interacts together inside this strange mental world. The mind is a powerful tool in the world of dreams and the few exceptional individuals with the ability to build dreamworlds for others to participate in are called Logomancers. Ardus Sheridan and his apprentice John Marrow are negotiators for the dream commodities company Powell-Mercer and have been sent to the seaside city of Ordolus in order to finalize a contract with the region's most recently discovered logomancer, Glenton Dahl. The story starts there as the duo reaches the city limits. What is the nature of the dreamworld that everyone is connected to? What is the true nature of logomancy? Is the emotion felt for a fictional character different from the emotion felt for a real person? Did the ancient peoples of Callosum like slow-roasted brisket? Play the game to find out the answers! Read More...
I'm Jeffrey Nordin and over the past year I made this game, The Logomancer. I've always wanted to make video games, so I finally decided to do it. I quit my job and moved to Seattle after completing the game in the hopes that it can be used as a resume to get me a job in game development. The Logomancer ended up being very a personal story and a lot of my own neuroses, insecurities, hopes, and philosophies are in the game. Write what you know, as they say.
The game should take around 10 hours to complete.
Game Overview and Plot Outline
The Logomancer is a JRPG without killing. Conflicts are resolved through argumentation, logical discourse and persuasive speech. Mastering the elements of rhetoric will allow you to make your point to even the most stubborn audience. The people you meet are your 'weapons' and the skills they teach your 'magic'. Why not befriend an old editor and learn about the power of Proofreading? Or assist a schizophasic blacksmith to learn how to Doublespeak?
Using the classical elements of persuasion, social interactions become rhetorical battles. A 'boss fight' could just be trying to convince a store owner to give you a new suit free of charge. This means that stats like 'persuasion', 'confidence', and 'elocution' are much more important than 'strength', 'dexterity', or 'magic attack'. If you've ever wanted to play a Final Fantasy 6-styled JRPG wherein you could improve your characters' Perspicacity, then this game is probably for you.
The Logomancer draws inspiration from the following sources, so if any of these pique your interest, there's a good chance there's something for you in this game: The Lost Room, Inception, Dark Souls, Final Fantasy 6, Persona 4, House of Leaves, Silent Hill 2, and the music of two DTs - Dream Theater and Dark Tranquillity.
Youtube Video Demo
Pay-What-You-Want Soundtrack Download
Visit the Logomancer Official Soundtrack Bandcamp page in order to download the game's soundtrack. The soundtrack is pay-what-you-want, which means you can get it for free, but paying more than zero is always appreciated!
Steam Greenlight Page
I've also put the Logomancer up on Steam Greenlight. Click to visit the page and vote for it if you feel so inclined!
Thanks for voting and helping The Logomancer on it's quest to become the 2015 Indie of the Year. You are now in with a chance to score some free games. Help this game secure more votes by embedding the widget (or link) we have included below on your favorite sites.
Don't forget to check out (and vote) for other amazing games in contention. Here are some recommendations:
On August 4th, 2015, the Logomancer was released on Steam!
The game is available here: Store.steampowered.com
In addition to the game, I also wrote a complete strategy guide for the game which is available for free here: Thelogomancer.com
The Steam version of the game includes cloud save support, controller support and full Steam achievement support (14 achievements total).
There were a vast number of improvements and bug fixes since the first publicly available version of the game. Here's the list of bug fixes and balance changes if you're interested (if you haven't played the game this does contain light spoilers):
- Losing to Narroden now increases regret as intended
- fixed platinum ring quest (quest 9) repeatedly activating if talking to man
- added ! (quest marker) over Glenton after completing first quest to let player's know another quest is available
- added ! (quest marker) over Ordolus man during the ring quest (quest 9)
- new cut scene on Forgotten Plantation 1F that draws attention to the stone column that can be used as a ladder
- added a new graphic for Ordul's claw after the Prismatic Claw is taken from it
- added in 4 repetition limit for taking 250 gold from Green merchant in Bazaar
- added extra dialog with Sudi about purchasing the Expert's Guide to Grilling if the player sells the platinum ring from quest 9, thus bypassing the book reward
- added blocking tiles to the edges of the entrance to Udumo's house
- fixed hint image to show 1,075 instead of erroneous 1,098
- added indication of number of grammar errors left in Sindarin's quest
- fixed black screen if you leave during a fadeout on 4F Winthgraden Tower as Cynthia leaves the paraty
- fixed issue where it was possible to permanently lose Cynthia if returning to 4F on Winthgraden Tower after completing quest 5
- fixed ability to get extremely high stats by using inspiration points while buffed
- fixed Completion menu to accurately reflect completion percentage
- fixed dashing input in Comfortable Routine to work with 360 controller and keyboard
- added extra confirmation window before starting the descent into the abyss below Epherus' house since you can't leave until the quest is completed
- fixed tile in Aspect of Blood where the player could stand inside the wall
- added sparkle over journal near Nicolai's bed that disappears after the journal is read
- added +10 Persuasion to Heraldic Top Hat
- increased Ordul Trillby price to 100 gold
- added in store discount for Johan after talking to him about his family history
- removed ability to sell hats, suits, clothing etc. at stores
- added extra dialog to cut scene that starts Soldier's Heirloom quest that takes into account if you've been to the Seaside Bazaar already in a previous quest
- raised cost of Ad Hominem to 150 EP from 80 EP
- added Eistancian Soldier and Eistancian Crest automatically to Research Journal after Soldier's Heirloom quest
- reduced number of turns self-loathing state lasts from 5 down to 2
- fixed being able to talk to the New Cadence giant too early
- increased the EP cost of Choropleth Survey from 60 to 120
- fixed bug where deciding to leave New Cadence after completing 9 quests does not take the player directly to Camp Courtesy
- Fixed the transparency on the eyes of greed and despair inside the Aspect of Blood
- Added scene to revert characters to normal if they use the Orb of Recall to exit the Mindscape as 8-bit characters
- Can no longer use the Orb of Recall unless all 3 party members are present
- Increased damage of Left Eye of Greed to 500 WP to all party members
- Updated Game Over screen to mention the eyes of Greed and Despair
- Added an extra line when discovering the tape recorder reminding the party to visit Will if the party has already spoken with him following the Fill in the Blank quest
- Fixed issue where the party could leave Room 202 before starting the tape recorder scene
- Fixed issue where the party could break the cinematic in Room 202 by using the Orb of Recall
- Added condition to the Orb of Recall, now requires 9 quests to be completed before using
- Added hint to get the Mantra of Binding if it isn't in your inventory at the Fragment Core
- Added extra check to change party from 8-bit back to normal when examining the Fragment Core
- Added a White Raven student who pays 10 gold for each research level in Cynthia's journal (up to a maximum of 4,200 gold) that appears in the Water Spine Cavern Entrance after banishing the White Ravens from the bazaar
- Eventide Solais is now immune to Self-loathing and 90% resistant to Apathy
- Eventide Solais can now use Aggravating Fist (90%) or Onus Probandi (10%) in certain circumstances
- Tempetes Tuxedo stat gains boosted to +15 for PER, CON, ELO, RES and EP - WP gain remains the same
- Clarified sign clue in hat puzzle
- Vichyssoise removes the appropriate debuffs: incoherent and malaise
- Fixed issue where the wrong ending could trigger if leaving before finishing Seams of Reality quest
- Added 10x Convincing Smiles and Straight Answers to Mindscape Well area
- Ad Hominem now accurately counters WP Regen state
- Final Horizon now appears in the Aspect of Imprisonment after being defeated once and slowly gains resistance to Self-Loathing and Apathy the more times it is fought
- Beating a Watcher no longer underflows the Regret stat but resets it to 0 for all party members
- Fixed damage multiplier on Ardus' Flawless Deduction (raised from 3 to 5)
- Changed EP cost of Dissertation skill from 150 to 5
- 100% now possible for skill learning
- removed AP value on Null Hypothesis, Refocus, Sylogism, Morality Play, and Filibuster
- Fixed puzzle hint in Ending BG
- Cynthia now joins the party at Ardus' level
- Sindarin mentions reading for Sylvanne's part if Cynthia is not in the party for the Edited for Content quest finale
- made the ordolus almanac appear if quests completed is 3 or more instead of just 3
- fixed bug where you could get multiple Mantra of Binding items
- renamed gameover ogg file
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers.
No downloads were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the download list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post download and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers.