How's everybody doing? Here's the progress we've made since the last post:
THE WAR CAP:
(There’s a new sheriff in town.)
THE CLOSE HELM:
OPENING CLOSE HELM
The Close Helm opens and closes based on you weapon ready stance. Drawing your weapon drops the visor and sheathing your weapon raises the visor. A nice little aesthetic.
This is the start of the dialog system, and a step towards being able to barter!
(I'll keep that in mind.)
NEW WEAPON: THE QUARTERSTAFF
These are the quarterstaff attacks, one per each direction. These are the regular non-power attacks for the weapon.
I need to work further on the poking animation – the attack while moving backwards.
Besides Arms, we’ve continued to contemplate additional skill grid possibilities. With the start of Magic, we have decided on the next skill grid titled, Arcane. Now, using Magic will reward you with skill XP in the Arcane skill grid and allow you to level up.
Some skill UI improvements:
- Highlighting/mousing over a skill button will display the skill name.
- Clicking on the skill button will display a popup window with a description of the skill’s purpose.
Added the Cunning skill group, which currently contains the skills of Pickpocket, Lockpick, and Persuasion. There will most likely be more down the road but for the public demo, this will do.
Jon began implementing the basic Pickpocket skill use and experience point rewards. Pickpocketing has already been in the game, but now awards XP through use.
Before, certain audio clips would cut out and not play their full length. Vocals for players, other than player one, wouldn’t be loud and clear, since their volumes were relative to player one’s position. Only if they were close by, would the vocals be heard. Also, audio effects (e.g. reverb zones) would only take into account player one’s position. There are additional issues with split-screen audio as well.
Jon has been working on overhauling the audio to address these issues.
- The larger windows are now destructible. (Tavern windows and the ones seen in the War Cap gif above)
- More props in Town, fencing.
- A new spell, Incandesce Weapon, allows you to imbue your weapon with a magical blue heat – which has all the effects (good & bad) of normal incandescence when heating by fire, just blue.
- Menu Navigation Improvements:
- Setup a simple text entry system for controllers. The classic pressing up/down to swap the current character and left/right to navigate to the previous/next character.
- Fixed mouse clicking sound effects to match gamepad clicks.
- And now there’s a graphic in the status menu showing the current moon phase.
Some small additions to sleeping:
- Zzzs particle when resting
- Snoring sounds
- Negative armor effects, such as fire resistances when using wooden shields, no longer scale with the item’s condition, like positive effects.
- Fixed an issue with the random Loot shuffling if there was only one possibility. An incorrect amount of the generated item would appear.
If anyone’s interested, we’ve also added a convenient way to look back at all of our previous website Posts, showing our progress.