Picaroon is played out in a grim water-world future where hundreds of small tropical islands are the only remaining usable land. The Earth, now tidally locked, has half of its surface bathed in perpetual sunlight and the other half a dark, miserable mystery where few dare to travel. The loosely ran Kingdoms hire individual warlords to fight for the control of these islands and survive by handing out rare technology and other services in return for very generous tributes.An odd mix of the old and new, Picaroon is a world where the occasional nuclear blast rocks a mostly medieval society. Fight for yourself, fight for your Kingdom, but fight for victory. Medals and powers beyond your imagination await the successful.
As well as exploring the world, building settlements and fleets, you can form alliances with other players (or just sink their ships and burn their settlements, of course, should diplomacy not be your thing!). Various third parties such as independent pirates, whirlpool wormholes and traveling salesman roam the open seas looking for victims or customers. You enhance your game with specials. These are like a magic deck of cards, each of which has a feature such as forcing a volcano to erupt, laying a minefield or quadrupling construction speed for an hour on a settlement. By taxing your settlers, you can raise the in-game gold to purchase one of several random decks of cards. If you wish, you will be able to use our secure micro-transaction system to buy more specific decks of cards to enhance your game.Oh, and there is the unique end-game... a huge battle where the skies go darker, the roulette wheels spin and giant, mammoth ships appear out of nowhere alongside submarines launching ancient nuclear tipped missiles...
School's out for summer and we, here at Nice Technology, would like to find out which nation is the biggest bunch of (umm... sorry, are the best) pirates!!
Rules and regulations can be found on both and forum and facebook sites:
• 4 week game of Classic Picaroon - open to all players.
• Players join the alliance for his/her home country of residence. If the relevant alliance has not yet been formed, create it and you will be rewarded with 1000 Doubloon bonus for your duties as a nation alliance leader.
• The “winners” will be the alliance with the highest score. (So, invite your friends to play as recruiting new members will give your nation a better chance of winning)
• Doubloon prizes will be awarded to the members of winning Alliance:
1st place within winning alliance: 5,000 DB
2nd place within winning alliance: 2,000 DB
3rd place within winning alliance: 1,000 DB
Other members: 300 DB each
• Players can use the Picaroon forum, other gaming site forums and social networking site (facebook etc.) to recruit players to their alliance.
• Alliance Leader should select “colours”/flag for alliance, which should be used by each member.
• Once the game is full, Nice Technology reserve the right to remove inactive players from game.
Places are limited, so join now. National pride is at stake - Your country needs YOU!
New unit introduced into the Picaroon open beta - the Technology Centre. The unit ugrades to existing island functions but also enables an orbital laser.
Part II of a two part guide to Picaroon, written by one of our players - Nim. This tutorial is more in-depth than our "A beginner's guide tutorial", although...
Part I of a two part guide to Picaroon, written by one of our players - Nim. This tutorial is more in-depth than our "A beginner's guide tutorial", although...
A quick and easy guide to introduce players to Picaroon - a pirate-themed MMORTS.