Beasts of Prey is a survival sandbox game. Danger lurks everywhere and will make your struggle for survival tough. Carnivorous beasts may be lying in wait behind every tree and waiting to make you their prey.
You are starting out without anything but your combat knife and you'll have to regain access to modern technologies through gathering resources, crafting items, building structures like houses, defenses, factories and by conquering and defending resource hotspots. You can build outposts & cities, conquer them - or destroy them. Whatever is on your agenda how you want to play in the sandbox.
Create an empire, forge alliances, defend or conquer valueable resource spots. All your actions have an impact in this dynamic growing game-world, your actions matter – you can help a fellow player who is attacked by dinosaurs, or use him for targeting practise, steal his belongings. But remember, it's a single sandbox, all your actions have a meaning and you have to face the consequences of what you are doing.
The game is heavily influenced by our community. Make suggestions on the the forums, give us your feedback! During the last 6 months (November 2014) the game received multiple make-overs, more than 17 major updates and over 50 smaller patches.
For new players:
Getting started in Beasts of Prey can be very hard, especially when playing on the official servers with others. It's recommended that you learn the basics of building, conquering and surviving. The basic steps are gathering some wood and stones and finding a suitable place for building. To prevent other players from stealing you should build at least 2-4 foundations and cover them with palisades. Many players figured out that having multiple levels of defense can greatly discourage raiders. You are also able to build turrets that will automatically shoot other players on sight.
To access the higher tiers of crafting you want a crafting table and later on a CNC table. The table saw can greatly reduce the grind because it will give you 3 wood planks for each wood log you turn into. Gathering stone can be tedious, so make sure you get oil pumps at some point, they allow you to produce fuel which powers mining drills that will produce both stones and ores. Fuel can be produced through the refinery, at that point you might want to add some sulfur to the refinery so it will produce plastic instead of fuel.
Important for tribes :
Since you don't have coordinates or mini maps with only a compass you can get lost quite quickly in the new world. It's recommended to get a tent up for your fellow tribe mates as soon as possible so your friends don't spawn in random locations all the time. The new map has a lot of landmarks (Vulcan, rivers, waterfalls, swamps, caves etc.) so use that to your advantage.
- A new game-world featuring oceans, rivers, cliffs, Vulcan, swamps, waterfalls and canyons.
- Several SpeedTree(tm) Trees have been integrated into the world.
- New foliage has been added to the game-world.
- Several local sound effects have been added.
- New grass and ground textures.
- New water shaders for ocean, rivers and swamps.
- New Main Menu Design.
- New In-game Menu accessible through a single key (TAB).
- New Crafting, Armour Slots, Inventory System, Hot-key System.
- New In-game Video Options.
- New Memory Management for both client and server.
- New Network routines to further minimize latency.
- New day/night cycle.
- Several PostEffects have been added to the game which can be enabled/disabled based on your computers performance.
- Switched rendering to linear deferred.
- Several structures and dinosaurs received visual adjustments to improve their appearance.
- New Random-Spawn System. You no longer spawn in predefined spots. The system looks for empty places to spawn you in case you do not have a bed.
- New Dinosaur Spawning Algorithm. Small Dinosaurs are now more common, the larger ones have a smaller spawning chance.
- New Inventory System based on Slots. Your personal inventory now is limited to max. 24 Slots.
- New Stone Spawn System. Instead of "chopping stone with a knife" you now can find smaller stones around the world to get started in the crafting process.
- Several smaller trees and bushes can no longer be used to gain wood-logs, stick to the bigger trees.
- Amount of grass in the world has been drastically reduced.
- Wall Upgrades now require a crafting table.
- When picking up smaller stones there is a 4% chance to pick-up iron ore instead. (can be increased through skills up to 12%)
- Crafting raid ladders requires now a crafting table.
- "Structure Removal Tool" renamed to Destruction Hammer. Requires now a workbench.
- Torch removed from the game and replaced with a camp-fire that will increase your stamina recovery and heal you up slowly while standing close to it. Don't get burned.
- Coordinate system has been removed. Instead you have to rely on your compass.
- The compass now always shows your flag if you placed one.
- You can only have 1 flag per server.
- Flags no longer require maintenance.
- Flags can be captured again.
- In the new UI under Options you can now remove your flag from the game-world.
- Fixed foundation placement.
- Fixed server list glitch.
- Fixed missing damage on lava.
- Fixed missing damage on water.
- Fixed chat commands (e.g. /suicide).
- Fixed white trees at night.
- Fixed SSAO effect on far range.
- Fixed fog over-brightness.
- Fixed a collider that was too large on a tree.
- Logout button returns to lobby instead of quitting the game.
- To split an stack simply drag it onto an empty slot while holding LEFT SHIFT.
- Fixed CNC Table inventory.
- Action Tab is slightly smaller now.
- Fixed Chatbox (text was cut off).
- Increased chatbuffer to 128 entries.
- Fixed the lootwindow scroll bar.
- Fixed escape key / ui flickering issue.
- Increased chat fade away time from 5 to 8 seconds.
- Fixed inventory bug
- Servers now save logout position upon restart, so you no longer spawn elsewhere. Always last logout position now unless you die.
- Fixed chat double entries.
- Fixed capturing flags.
- Fixed loot on dinosaurs.
- Reduced amount of cannibal spawns.
- Slightly nerfed view-range of cannibals (from 90m to 70m).
- Fixed a glitch where the mouse disappeared in the main-menu (when going back to Lobby)
- Fixed a bug that prevented you sometimes to spawn properly.
- Fixed dinosaurs hiding from players.
- Fixed skill selection.
- Fixed clothing/armor crafting.
Latest tweets from @beastsofprey
Change of Flag mechanics responding to your concerns. Need feedback about it in our Steam Forums T.co
12hours 16mins ago
@1966papi we have released an update. Hope it works for you
12hours 17mins ago
@ManKjell don't worry, our next patch is on its way this weekend
May 15 2015, 12:21pm
@smith_2298 we are working on a patch, coming this weekend
May 15 2015, 12:20pm
@dinoking456 we might :)
May 5 2015, 11:56am
May 3 2015, 3:19pm
Update 21 is live!! A new game-world, brand new UI and updated game-mechanics T.co
May 2 2015, 8:15pm
We are now preparing all servers for the update while uploading the latest build. Anyone interested in streaming the update?
May 2 2015, 6:44pm
Running final tests and writing patch notes. Expect the update to go live within the next 3-4 days :) T.co
Apr 30 2015, 8:36am