3571 The Game development is getting close to its final version with this version 0.98: more than 30 new NPCs with original dialogues, LOD models and implementation for all buildings, Unity 2020 Engine Update and first pass of final polish and optimization!
More than 30 New NPCs
With the new 30 NPCs and their unique lines of dialogue, the procedural worlds of 3571 The Game are more alive than ever. Replayability is at its best as you will be able now to meet very different people each time you generate a new world, from ninja soldiers to mutant idiots.
It is now more than a hundred different characters than the game engine can use to populate the procedurally generated worlds of 3571 The Game. Most of the new NPCs will join your journey if you choose the right words with them. This gives funny and surprising gameplay loops between frequent fights to survive against droids and monsters. But be careful ! Keeping your NPC army alive will be a real challenge as they can a little bit too brave sometimes.
LOD Models for all buildings
Among the several performance bottlenecks fixed for this version 0.98, one of the most game-changing was to create several LOD models for each building, which increased performance by a lot, almost doubling the framerate in some cases.
Now when seen in distance, each building 3D model is replaced with a low poly model, reducing the total number of polygons by 40% on average. This means that every single part of the game now is more fluid than ever, without reducing the quality or the number of elements in the game. This was a lot of work as there is a consequent number of different buildings in the game, but the result was worth it.
Unity 2020 Engine update, polish and optimization
Developing this game has been a very long adventure for me, that started back in 2012 when I wrote my first line of code. The first final polish and optimization pass have been done: optimizing the game engine, physics, graphics, gameplay and source code, as well as fine tuning the details and correcting the last remaining bugs.
With new LOD 3D models system the game performance is now really awesome knowing it manages each frame hundreds of NPCs and enemies in a full 3D realtime world. I also did a lot of performance analysis and found several other optimization corrections : better AI management and reducing function calls when possible, physics engine optimization, lighting and textures optimization, and a new ground items collision management that saves up a lot of useless realtime calculations. It is now time for me to work on the final 1.0 version of the game, with the last polish pass and the last content optimizations.
Bug Corrections, polish and optimisations :
- Fixed: 7 items were impossible to pick up when on the ground
- Fixed a physics engine bug causing lags after long in-game sessions
- Physics time step have been lowered, objects behave more realistically
- Fixed a bug causing the « Guard » button not working at start
- Grounded items no longer needs to check if the player is near individually
- Sound levels have been balanced
- AI combat rework : NPCs are more dynamic during fights
- Several minor performance optimizations and bug corrections
- Fixed several textures that were too dark or too bright
3571 The Game v0.98 features
- Huge performance and stability improvement
- New LOD levels for all procedural buildings
- 30 new NPCs with unique dialogues and items
- Updated to Unity 2020 Engine for better performance and compatibility
- First optimization and polish pass
- More realistic physics and collisions
- Bug corrections and engine optimizations
Welcome to the future
Thanks for reading! If you want to try and support the game, or if you want to try time travels, 3571 The Game version 0.9 is available right now in early access on Steam. See you in the future!