Rocket Shipment is a 2D Arcade/Lander game where you maneuver a spaceship through tight caverns to deliver colored packages to the right platforms. Determine the optimal path, keep an eye on your fuel levels and watch out for dangerous alien technologies. Don't collide with caverns walls and try to neatly land on the designated platforms.
This game is inspired by Crazy Gravity and titles such as Gravity force and Solar Jetman.
Rocket Shipment is in early development. Further progress will be shared through devlogs on multiple platforms, including here, and on twitter.
It's very annoying not to be able to show much progress to you guys. I've been working on a lot of things under the hood and thinking about localization.
There's a lot of work to be done for all the menu's. The Options menu alone already is a huge task, mostly because it will introduce some UI element I have not created before.
For example, I want to implement a simple drop-down menu for selecting the resolution and the language, which has to be built from scratch.
Next to this, I've also investigated which languages to support in the game.
Countries by their proficiency in the English language
Top 20 markets worldwide in terms of gaming revenue in 2014
Adding the countries with the biggest game revenue and a poor grasp on the English language I've decided to go for English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean and my native language, Dutch.
I figured I would be robbing myself if I didn't translate into the languages of the huge Asian game market.
I'm booking a little bit of visual progress though. I've created the base start menu, which has a slowly moving background of stars. The movement direction and speed is determined randomly each time when the start menu loads.
The Start button currently directly starts the first level it can find. The Options button now switches to the Options menu, which is still empty except for a working Back button.
I've implemented a "Toggle Language" button in my debug menu so I can test out all the languages whenever I want. This will come in handy to check if translations fit the buttons, and to check whether the fonts support the characters for specific words.
I've been able to find a pixel font that supports the latin and cyrillic alphabet, the latter being used for Russian. For the Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters I found a separate pixel font that is slightly different. Because of the difference in size, I have programmed the font size to adapt depending on the font to make sure it still fits in buttons and other GUI elements.
Toggling languages through my debug menu. You can see the font change to CJK characters
messes up some debug info, but the players won't notice any of that :)
Next to all these changes I've also ironed out some issues when switching between menu scene and playable level.
All in all a lot of changes, but no really exiting stuff to show you guys.
Expect some more boring posts after this, cause the light at the end of this GUI tunnel is not yet seen.
Building your own engine is not the choice for everyone. This is my take on doing it and why I love it.
Working on the start menu with localization! I'm very happy with this result and have learned a lot in the process. Next step is adding a credits button...
My 3rd attempt for a title graphic after some feedback. I'm very happy with the result!
A short history of this project and where to find older stuff.
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.