January has been a productive month for us in terms of art and code. Though we are offering a sneak peek at some art in the January Update video, the focus of this update is to let you know of the enhancements applied to the core of the project. Scroll to the bottom of the article to check out the video version of the update.
Our internal network has been rebuilt from the ground up. The work is time consuming, but it will drastically improve the game:
- Enhanced network performance
- Integrated LAN support
- Updated the team’s method for implementing improvements to networking features
A new character controller has allowed us to rework player controls and mechanics:
- The new system allows for dynamic animation blending. Transitions between character animations are smoother, and animations sets are ever-changing in relation to the player’s actions.
- Player controls and movement are fluid and responsive
- Aiming mechanics with a mouse are updated to provide better accuracy
- The weapon system has been overhauled. Implementing weapons is now easier, and weapon mechanics have been improved
- 3rd person animation blending, the animations of other spartans around the player, have been fixed.
- Animations now look powerful and have purpose.
- “Feels more punchy” - Reece
Note: These fixes relate to the “choppiness” you all saw in our November trailer. We have worked hard to correct this and make the gameplay smooth. We have also massively reorganized our project to create a foundation for structured development that will accommodate our now larger team.
Take a look at a sneak peek at some of the new art and a piece from the new soundtrack: Youtube.com
Stay tuned for future updates by subscribing to us on social media