The Macintosh version of our end of the year demo, with over four months of work and a massive amount of new features, changes, fixes, polish, and much much much much much much much more!
Whew, it's been quite a while since we released some official, playable content. With more than four months since the last demo version, a massive amount has changed. Even this changelog doesn't represent the full scope of things, but will give you an idea of all the new things you can try out in the demo proper.
- Joystick mode does not work beyond the basics, as input is going through an internal rework.
- Input remapping is going through a rework, and has issues. Macs in particular may need specific remappings.
- The game is currently unoptimized in many demo systems, due to station models not having been optimized.
- Spish will generate a phantom shape that appears when light shines on it.
- Countermeasures may sometimes fail to work.
- Wrecks still drop intact versions of equipment.
- Setting the resolution ingame doesn’t work. This has been disabled due to issues.
NEW FEATURES & CHANGES:
- Added over 30 new ships in the form of bombers and freighters.
- New trading mechanics: station commodities will be affected by supply and demand.
- Included several new item types and allowed for missiles, mines, and countermeasures to work properly.
- NPC pathfinding and combat AI improved, with such features as missile use, using lanelines properly, and more.
- New models for fixtures such as lampposts and lighthouses, ticker relays, and buoys.
- Major graphical passes on asteroids, suns, and nebula.
- New effects for ships catching fire, explosions, engines, highengines, jumptunnels and weapons.
- New games now start with crappy low-value new-game ships.
- Complete nonHUD UI overhaul for better functionality and clarity.
- New UI features include the ability to check best prices, track recent reputation changes on a faction, and more.
- Many under-the-hood optimizations on existing things, such as colliders and physics.
- Addition of a meta-inventory with meta items.
- Added decal system.
- New camera systems and effects, including a classical dynamic “loose” camera and the existing “close” camera. You can switch between the two in the options menu.
- Scanned data will give out items in addition to cash rewards.
- Adjusted leveling curve and properly hooked up RPG mechanics to skills and levels.
- Added long range waypoint system.
- Brand new tutorial level and functionality to help new starchasers better learn the insandouts of the game. The tutorial can be accessed from the main menu by pressing the “new game” button and selecting the tutorial option.
- Suns now kill you if you get too close to them.
- And much much much much much more!
- A lot, most of which I’m probably going to miss due to the sheer amount of them.
- Fixed issues with docking and NPCs docking incorrectly.
- Fixed UI formatting issues, especially ones with money.
- Fixed issues with contact HUD not updating when it should.
- Fixed issues with asteroid fields and nebulas not properly updating or having the effects and clearances they should.
- Fixed issues with explosion and damage effects not resetting properly.
- Improved and fixed issues with mining asteroids where they wouldn’t be destroyed properly.
- Fixed item duplication issues.
- Fixed issues where undocking would freeze the game.