Report article RSS Feed Project Zomboid set-back - but otherwise business as usual

Hi everyone, Will here, the Project Zomboid writer-guy. I won’t beat around the bush. The Indie Stone have just suffered a major set-back. The Newcastle flat where Lemmy and Binky live and work was burgled last night, and so far the clearest things taken are two computers and Lemmy’s credit card.

Posted by Batsphinx on Oct 16th, 2011

Project Zomboid was regularly backed up from machine to machine, but rarely – sadly and infuriatingly – externally. We have lost an awful lot of work and (as you will have seen if you follow him on twitter: Theindiestone.com) members of our team were more than emotional.

This will clearly severely delay the next update, which was very near completion. I personally only just finished my work on it yesterday (one of the final things on the ‘to-do’ list) and had it ready for input
today.

Project Zomboid, however, will come back stronger. I just wanted to come onto Desura to let everyone know that this is a set-back and not a death-knell. If anything we will come back stronger, and with a better game.

During this time we will clearly be asking for the understanding and patience of our community. We are gutted, we are despondent and – most of all – we are sorry that this has thrown yet another bump into the
road towards PZ completion. We should have learned more about barricading the doors it seems...

Please visit www.projectzomboid.com for further updates.

Best,
The Indie Stone

Midnightmare
Midnightmare Oct 16 2011, 6:49pm says:

damn guys, these news are very... can't find words to describe it, but at least your will to keep the things going is still there and that's something very important.

wish you all the best!

liamdawe
liamdawe Oct 16 2011, 7:00pm says:

I hope you come back!

liamdawe
liamdawe Oct 16 2011, 7:00pm says:

I hope you come back!

Cheeseness
Cheeseness Oct 16 2011, 7:21pm says:

Sorry to hear guys. Hope it all comes together again quickly.

Metalspy
Metalspy Oct 16 2011, 7:25pm says:

Yeah I've read about this on your official blog. I was really looking forward to the update, this set-back sucks :( Not only because the update will be delayed, of course, that would be selfish ;)

Highmist
Highmist Oct 16 2011, 7:51pm says:

Well, if the credit card was stolen, at least THAT can be tracked...right?

Anyway, that's a pretty bad thing to happen, and I hope you guys will continue on as usual. Condolences!

Renegade2
Renegade2 Oct 16 2011, 7:55pm says:

I'm grabbing my rifle and hunting for some thieving scum

PierreOfTheFrench
PierreOfTheFrench Oct 16 2011, 8:06pm says:

It's always much easier to re-create things, you never have to start from scratch once you've done something once :) I bought Project Zomboid on Desura a few weeks ago, can't wait to see you guys get back on your feet it definitely held a lot of promise!

With that said, reddit/twitter was seemed like a pretty big PR disaster... It seemed like a lot of people were trolling as expected so, but I think that could have been handled a bit better there was a lot of back and forth on twitter until the account was deleted. I think that should have been handled a bit more delicately and not just a volley of insults.

Anyway, best of luck guys, maybe you will catch a break and recover the stolen property.

monkat
monkat Oct 17 2011, 1:25pm replied:

Exactly! When you get shoved off your horse, you get right back on.

You already know the problems you ran into coding it the first time around, and you surely have a general idea of how what you made worked, so it should take no-time flat to put it back together! Well. You know. Half the time?

Senoska
Senoska Oct 16 2011, 8:51pm says:

dam burglers

0 votes     reply to comment
GossamerSolid
GossamerSolid Oct 16 2011, 9:04pm says:

I'm sorry that somebody stole from you guys, but why on earth were there no remote backups? Everybody knows that you should always have a remote backup as well (incase dumb **** like this happens).

zeekthegeek
zeekthegeek Oct 17 2011, 12:58am replied:

They had a backup, however since moving they've had internet troubles and so weren't auto-backuping. The bad luck is frankly astounding.

MasLegio
MasLegio Oct 20 2011, 7:01am replied:

well you can do a physical remote backup as well

just make a daily or semidaily bakcup to a disk that is stored on a different physical location.
A must have alternative if you cannot do internet remote backup.

0 votes     reply to comment
Hendar23
Hendar23 Oct 16 2011, 9:11pm says:

OMG I can't imagine that happening to a project of mine. Losing the hardware is annoying... but losing data?!?!

I always back up my project to the cloud every day.

Falleen
Falleen Oct 16 2011, 10:05pm says:

Don't let Lemmy do PR anymore, you guys have a nightmare on your hands with those drunken twitter and reddit rants he's been making.

lambda462
lambda462 Oct 17 2011, 2:07am replied:

He apologized for that.

-2 votes     reply to comment
Qwerty1980
Qwerty1980 Oct 16 2011, 10:24pm says:

Bought the game today. love it then cryed...

WHY BURGLARS, WHY !

Zarius
Zarius Oct 16 2011, 10:46pm says:

Damn, that sucks! Will be patiently awaiting the next update as you guys get to it - thanks heaps for the news post here on Desura.

drlemon
drlemon Oct 16 2011, 11:41pm says:

Nooo! That really sucks! It doesn't matter when the update comes out, it matters why.

Godi3400
Godi3400 Oct 17 2011, 3:43am says:

I hope you guys get back on your feet quickly! : )

dave_5430
dave_5430 Oct 17 2011, 12:22pm says:

No matter how much I have always supported this game from behind the scenes, I hope you realise how more and more unbelievable these things are starting to sound, almost like excuses as to lacking updates and what not.

I'm trying to uphold moral for people wanting to buy the game on this end, never having heard of your entire website or group, but they're starting to lose hope in this ever seeing the light of day.

Another setback will sincerely mean nobody here will buy this game, and I don't feel like sending out raffle tickets for people to pick up a copy through Desura, I'm promoting the game all over the place but with such set backs nobody sees fit to actually buy it...

unlike cortex command, whom just ******* WONT update, but still have a growing fanbase.

Catch up on it, I'm not cashing back the ten copies I reserved.

Korvinus
Korvinus Oct 17 2011, 12:35pm says:

Hope you guys are okay and make a comeback stronger than ever :)

Don't let the pressure get to you, use the old saying "the games ready, when its ready" :D. The people who know the game will still be here when you guys get fixed up.

Dr.Goupyl
Dr.Goupyl Oct 17 2011, 2:43pm says:

What a mad and terrible story ! Come on guys ! You can do it !

Syril
Syril Oct 17 2011, 3:39pm says:

The Zomboid team has the worst of luck don't they? D:

MrTambourineMan
MrTambourineMan Oct 17 2011, 4:05pm says:

Look at it from the bright side - I almost forgot about Project Zomboid but this theft reminded me that this awesome project exists and now I'm scraping my money to buy it, which I probably would have done otherwise :)

Mkilbride
Mkilbride Oct 17 2011, 4:14pm says:

Yeah, losing money to piracy, losing money to PayPal, and now their comps being stolen?

I've never heard of such bad luck from an Indie studio.

Brainz80
Brainz80 Oct 17 2011, 4:44pm says:

I just logged in to share my deepest condolences.
MAY THE GUILTY HAVE THEIR NAILS PLUCK OFF, NOSE HAIR PICKED (ONE BY ONE). AND OH... HELL SHOT AND BURIED.

LordZalzer
LordZalzer Oct 18 2011, 4:04am says:

This is really sad news, one of the major things I had been looking forward to were save on quit, because it's so annoying to have to end a game just because there is no save function.

One can only wonder why the Project Zomboid team didn't have external backup procedures in place, external backup procedures should be first priority, especially when making something as big as Project Zomboid.

Droid15243
Droid15243 Oct 18 2011, 12:30pm says:

You guys went though a lot of crap this year. Hopefully things will look up!

10243
10243 Oct 18 2011, 5:53pm says:

i have one thing to say before sadness occures YOUR BEAUTIFUL! :D now sadness time
*hears bad news* D: *falls on kness* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
il miss you

Archraph
Archraph Oct 18 2011, 6:47pm says:

I hope that you will have some money from insurrance ?

Autavic
Autavic Oct 19 2011, 10:02am says:

The Desura community is right behind you guys. We all look forward to a speedy recovery and good news in the future!

Darknuke
Darknuke Oct 20 2011, 6:16pm says:

Back up your game to the "cloud" next time. Our company has 4 local computers backing our project up as well as two computers in other houses AND a backup on a website. I am very sorry for your loss, but you have to always think about that worst case scenarios before it's too late...

Venrez
Venrez Oct 20 2011, 9:46pm says:

Whilst the news is tragic and a serious blow to the development of a promising game, I cant help but agree entirely with a few people throughout these comments. The thoughts are shared. Why is there so little damage control within a company / group that is working on a large scale project?

The lack of backups in a physical format or at another location, either online or also physical, is simply gobsmacking. Its a cruel world in the business scheme of things, and though not in a discouraging manner - precautions against this should be taken right from the start for any sort of scenario, including the problems with public relations / trolling, Paypal and piracy. If I recall correctly, there were also issues with funding regarding the home-rent of people working on the game, thus not having enough for development.

I'd assume establishing a stable life situation comes first before an expensive project.

I've paid for my copy of the game and thus cant demand anything / complain further since they already have my money, but heck, news like this is both bad luck and a slap of karma.

kelthehet
kelthehet Oct 27 2011, 10:17pm says:

Alright guys, you keep your chins up. We eagerly await your work. Don't give up. Just remember, luck works both ways. Good luck.

SepticSauce
SepticSauce Oct 28 2011, 12:03pm says:

Sorry about all the bad things happening whil trying to make this a succesful game! You guys are doing a good job though! Dont give up! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :)

Forboding_Angel
Forboding_Angel Nov 5 2011, 5:24am says:

3 letters for you guys.

S - V - N

I'm sorry this happened to you, but unfortunately the fact that you are setback so far is a result of your own gross negligence for proper versioning control. There is simply no excuse for not having your code in an svn or git repository.

Regardless, good luck to you all, and I hope that you have learned your lesson!