Nightmerica is a game about fighting your fears, and the monsters that live inside your head. In your boundless imagination, pretty much everything is out to get you - and it's only a matter of time until you're overwhelmed. The game is a retro styled platformer, consisting of arena based combat against hoards of varied and slightly terrifying enemies. It also features randomly generated guns, and mods to change their behaviour on the go. The full game will feature several maps and game modes (possibly) including; basic survival, defend the base, procedurally generated arenas and boss rush. The game is basically trying to capture the feeling of frantic fast paced action, combined with very satisfying combat and platforming controls.
Devlog entry for Nightmerica for 20/07/12. Devlogs contain my dot point summary of everything accomplished since the last update and images of the new features. The full devlog can be found on tigSource (link in full story)
Posted by vivavolt on Jul 20th, 2012
Full devlog: Forums.tigsource.com
Features Added Today:
- Made coins counters flash and purchase button will not appear if you have insufficient coins
- Made the first special weapon, mines
- Implemented a new purple cyclops enemy that follows you around in burst of movement
- Created demolition spiders, they are similar to normal spiders except they fire projectiles, do more damage and are stronger
- Created dinosaur enemy capable of following you and jumping over walls / obstacles
- Implemented a special stage for unlocking fire weapons, you begin in the dark and there are two torches you must light up using your pistol, once it is light enough your weapon gains the fire effect which does more damage
- If you get far enough, regular zombies become red zombies, which are just stronger and more powerful
There are also lots of tweaks and balances recently, and there will be many more to ensure the difficulty is sufficient.