• Register

3089 is a futuristic, procedurally generated, open-world action role-playing game. All terrain, enemies, weapons, items, quests & more are uniquely generated. You are a promising robotic android design, made by the Overlord, placed on planet Xax. Your performance in common combat, support & intel scenarios is being closely watched. However, will you become too much for them to handle? What else on planet Xax exists that the Overlord doesn’t know about?

Forum Thread
3089 Update: New bases, multiplayer building & more! (Games : 3089 : Forum : Annoucements : 3089 Update: New bases, multiplayer building & more!) Locked
Thread Options
Sep 23 2013 Anchor

Hey all,

Friendly & enemy robot bases have been completely re-designed to provide a much more urban feel -- take a look:

Towers are now part of bases, including the starting base. Buildings are oriented in groups & ramps connect flat sections of the base.

Here is a look at the new ship platform which will spawn vehicles (also commonly found in the new bases):

You can now build stuff with your buddies in multiplayer -- everything should synchronize as expected! Don't worry about someone coming in and destroying your stuff: all constructed objects retain ownership. The server has control over all built objects & people who join can only remove their constructions. Storage bins remain locked to other players, so only you can access your stuff (no stealing!).

All new draw distance options are now available:

"Normal" is the draw distance found in v0.102b, "small" is the draw distance found in earlier versions of 3089. "Far" is an all new draw distance that looks great!

Some significant performance improvements were made to allow the "far" setting to run very good. I've introduced a "level of detail" system where terrain far away will not include physics calculations & grass will not be rendered, among other things.

Check out the complete version history for more changes: 3089game.wordpress.com

What's next? I'd love to clean up some graphical glitches that cause the shadows to flicker & watch towers to sometimes disappear when viewing them at an odd angle. I also have some big ideas to offer the player more cool powers... more on that later :-) Multiplayer "merge mode" is also on the to-do-soon list. I've also been getting some ideas over on the forums that I need to go through; thank you for those!

Make sure you guys follow the IndieGameHQ's Twitch stream where they play 3089: Twitch.tv

OK, back to work!
- Phr00t

Edited by: Phr00t

Sep 25 2013 Anchor

There is only one word to describe this update: supercalafrikin'awesome!

Spawning in the high-tech base gives a really great atmosphere at the start of the game, the buildings just seem cooler on their terraces... the fact that everything is easy to acces now is also a great improvement - there's nothing worse than having to walk around a mountain at the starting base because it's just too steep to climb; the terraces and walkways are brilliant for that.

One thing though: the watchtowers are great, but one measly little turret at the top? That would be the perfect place to put the "stationary gun" idea from the Planes, Trains and Automobiles thread - I can just imagine a searchlight-style beam searching across the base from the watchtower, and turning into a deadly laser beam ala UFO if an enemy is spotted... :devious:

Sep 25 2013 Anchor

v0.105b incoming! Glad you are enjoying v0.104b, but things just got a little better :)

3089game.wordpress.com

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.