• Register
Post news RSS Remade the entire Design of my CityBuilder Game - ReignScape Devlog 1

First Indie Game Devlog for ReignScape : An original and unique 2D strategy /city builder game made with GodotEngine C# and C ! This week I worked a lot on the overall design of the game !

Posted by on


ReignScape - Devlog 0

ReignScape is an original and unique strategy / citybuilder game made with GodotEngine, C# and C for the server part.

If you haven't yet, please read the introduction article here, it explains how I got the idea and how it is made.

Devlog 1 - Changing the game Design

This week I wanted to focus on three main things :

  • The overall design of the game
  • The readability, I want to make it easier for the player to understand what is happening
  • And finally the mechanics of this first tiny ecosystem

Monday

I started this week by solving an issue I had with the inventories easy peasy now they update correctly !

During the afternoon I drew and imported some new designs for the structures.

You see, I really like the simple and unique design of the original drawings.

landscape 1 color

It is something I am really attached to.

But for a video game I think I can’t keep this design because there is too much unoccupied space on the screen.

I tried adding some colors using different methods but was never really satisfied with the result.

landscape 1 testGlobalColor

landscape 2 for vignette

It is a real pain for me to make this decision, but some weeks ago I started my research for a new design.
After some tries I came up with this sketch which I think is really promising.

Search 2

The 3D effect on the houses allows me to add more details and create more shapes.

I was not satisfied with the trees though, so on Monday afternoon I remade them..
I created the different growth stages from a tiny seed to a fully grown tree !
I also made the corn field and campfire designs !

After creating the sprite sheet and importing it in Godot Engine, I struggled a bit with some size issues.

BIG HOUSE

Finally those new structures were in the game !

Tuesday

On Tuesday morning I was still resizing the structures when I decided to make the houses 3 points wide !

points
I think it is a great Idea so each structure can take a certain amount of space, and for example trees can be closer to each other !

During the afternoon I’ve created a shader for the ground, that's a language used to tell the computer what to draw on screen, pretty difficult to master but really powerful !

I’m really happy with the result.

I think it looks great !

So I added some fire and smoke to the campfire !
The game already looks way better I think !

TuesdayDesign

Wednesday

I started wednesday by fixing an issue, the camera was never correctly centered vertically, I had an annoying tiny offset which was a problem when you wanted to zoom in on the world.

I enhanced the background a bit and worked on some animations showing when resources are collected or consumed !

Those animations were not really relevant for the houses so I kept them only for the campfire which is the center storage of the village.
I also made some speech bubbles so the houses can warn you when they lack something !

During the evening I managed to solve another issue, the borders of the chunks were broken when zoomed in or out.

I was quite desperate for this one cause I already tried a lot and never found a solution, but with some more motivation I managed to solve this ! It was due to some kind of strange looping with a texture so I made it wider than needed.

Thursday

I started Thursday by fixing a bug with the speech bubbles involved by some fancy C code ..
Now they appear correctly for both food and wood.

I added a smoothing parameter to the terrain shader, so it looks smooth from far away but not blurred when zoomed in.
It may affect performances though, but I am waiting for Godot 4 which is supposed to bring global shader uniforms to improve on this.

My afternoon was dedicated to adding an animation to show when a tree is being cut.

I also created a new image with a trunk so you can see recently cutted trees.


I think this helps a lot to understand what is going on.

I tried to create a parallax background, but got into some troubles with it. I tried different methods but struggled quite a lot. I’ve ended up with one which is far from perfect but quite promising !

For the rest of my time I worked on the game logic and balanced it.


An example showing it is in the devlog video, I recommend you to watch it !

Friday

Now it’s Friday and I am recording, editing and publishing the video as I want to take time for myself and rest a little bit this weekend.

My next goals are to improve the background, create a more appropriate game user interface and redesign the game menus.

I also detected a few bugs so I’ll try to fix those.

See you next week !

🤍 Get Involved

Subscribe to my YouTube channel Quantum Code so you don't miss next devlogs.

Join the community on our Discord Server

Follow my Twitch channel to join the stream sessions !

❗ I will give free copies of the game and early versions to the ones interacting on discord / YouTube / twitch so join us right away if you like the project ❗

Post a comment
Sign in or join with:

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.