Happy New Year and Merry Christmas to everyone, I hope it was a good time for you all!
Over these holidays, @Jason and myself have been working hard on getting the 'design' and gameplay aspects of the Recruits Multiplayer and Singleplayer right. I will do a quick summary of the systems we have implemented and do a more in depth write up further down the track.
So, we have been using Trello for this, an online project management software that allows you to create 'cards' and move them around and update information in realtime in the cloud. So far its been great and I think its something we will continue to use instead of Asana, which is what we previously used.
In Game Graphics
Some things we have been doing design wise are new HUD's for in game. So we are sorting out a more simple but yet more informative way of displaying health and recruits name and rank info.Having just the rank and name with the recruit will clear up the play area a bit and allow you to see more when you are fighting.
And by putting this info over on the side of the screen, it allows you to check the status of all of your recruits at anytime you want by pressing TAB.
With single and multiplayer we have decided to handle soldier death and recruitment in the following way.
- You start the game with a Platoon. This platoon is comprised of 8 new low level soldiers (Privates).
- You then move up to a maximum of 4 soldiers into your Squad. The Squad is what you take into missions.
- You then control your Squad in game and try to complete the missions.
- If a soldier dies, they are gone forever and are listed on a memorial wall in the menu.
- Soldiers who live stay in the squad and are able to fight on other missions.
- You can then replenish your squad by moving more soldiers from your Platoon to your Squad.
- In Singleplayer, if you run out of your Platoon soldiers... Game Over
- In Multiplayer, if you run out of Platoon soldiers, you cannot fight until you have gone back to the menu to replenish them.
So that's the basics of it. In conjunction with this, You earn XP and Cash, which the XP give you soldier ranks and the cash the ability to unlock new items and weapons to use with all your soldiers.Also, soldiers in battle have the ability to earn medals and honors. For example if you are playing and you kill 10 enemies in a row and you revive 3 squad mates and you blow up a tank and save 10 civilians... that might be the right circumstances for a Medal of Honor!
Which would boost your soldiers stats by a certain amount to make him way harder to kill on the battlefield.
Sorry its a long one, but lots has been happening. Cant wait for the Steam Launch where all of you guys can play this game we have work so hard on!
Head over to our Forums - Forums.recruitsgame.com and put your name down for early Multiplayer testing and also join in on the conversations! Tell us what you think about the game, how it looks, what we can do better, things you want to add! Anything like that helps us make a game that everyone can enjoy.
Sounds like promising improvements, appreciate the updates. While I've enjoyed the demo here, I'm eager to catch it on Steam early access too.