For the last two weeks I've been adding some smoke particle effects into the game and also working on the new procedural generation system.
The old geometric smoke effects from the prototype weren't fitting into the new visual style so I set to work on some new effects. I initially started with some volumetric shaders on spheres, but the resulting smoke looked too realistic and clashed with the simple style of the game. I settled on some 3D clouds, created in blender and scaled and rotated along an animation curve to give a smooth flowing effect effect. The smoke has a practical implication in game, allowing the player too block lasers and enemy fields of vision!
As I had just completed a number of backgrounds and tile types, putting them together was the next step. I decided to use solid outlines for each level, so the overall shape will remain consistent, but the inside segments will change on each play through. This means the player will be familiar with the overall layout, and can choose to attack it from the outside if they wish. As in the images below, the first level will consist of three 16x16 blocks laid on top of each other to create a building
A single 16x16 block:
Piecing them into a full building:
What I hope to achieve is very diverse levels that will give the player a lot of options in how they can approach the level. Combining this system with random item drops and various enemy placements, ensures each run should be unique