Operators is a turn-based tactical game project with work that started in 2017. It is currently in early prototype phase, with a playable build on the way.
Let's first talk about the elephant in the room. This game is very much inspired by Jake Solomon's 2012 game XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It's a love letter to the genre, as well as the following games that heavily influence this game's design:
- XCOM EW/EU/2, Long War
- Silent Storm
- Fallout Tactics
Here's what Operators is going to attempt to achieve.
- Drop-in Co-op multiplayer. Bring your squad of operators to another players' campaign, and play one of your campaigns together.
- A rich and dynamic simulation model for emergent story-telling. Stories of heroism, bravery, defeat, love, mental duress, the trauma of battle.
- Characters that have dynamic mental states causing them to react differently to stress depending on their personalities.
- A command structure between enemy units. Killing the squad leader will cause disarray. Killing the general would delay the enemy operations significantly.
- Simulation of firing modes, ballistics and penetration through different materials.
- A real-time with pause stealth game mode before combat begins.
- A simultaneous turn Contact Phase before turn-based combat.
The game is currently in early development and progress will be posted here.