- Most of my professional life I've been working on hunting games. I've acquired particular skillset and met people suitable for the job. I know how it is like to work for a bigger company under a publisher and how it can badly influence the game.
- There are no new hunting games. There is The Hunter with all its issues and Cabela's® Big Game Hunter® Pro Hunts which is more than 2 years old and is no longer supported (it has never been). There are several mobile games but they are very simple and can not properly satisfy any hunter.
- There is no moddable hunting game. All available games are completely closed, players can not tweak them, change them, add new content, maps, weapons, animals. I want to change that. Therefore Venator will be built on open source engine, and the whole source code, scripts and assets will be available to players. However this does not mean the game will be free.
- There is basically zero support for existing games. Is there a bug that destroys your whole progress? Can you not start the game you paid $40 for? Developers do not support their game anymore and there is nothing you can do. As a small developer it's more likely that I will respond to you than some multi-billion dollar company. And even if I don't respond for some reason the game will opened and there will always be somebody able to fix it.
- Making games is fun. There is hardly anything as fun as making a game for programmer. The feeling when you create the whole worlds from scratch is intoxicating.
5 reasons why I am making a hunting game
Making a hunting game seems weird to many people. Why have I decided to make one?
Posted by mikulas.florek on
Deer Hunter 2005 was a great hunting game, it was moddable, had multiplayer mode and came with a level editor. People made hundrets
of maps for this game.
Good luck with your project.
I did not play that one, however if it is as you describe it I plan to make something simillar, just more modern.
yes, we need something like this I love hunting games good luck. Just show me the game when its ready and I will buy it.
It's a shame that the modern hunting games are closed ended. Really looking forward to this game keep up the great work.
There is Hunting simulator for ArmA 2 , but it's not very professional.