The most important reason for this update was that the Linux version is no longer working out-of-the box in many of the modern distributions due to removal of required old libpng library version. Also, a lot of bug fixes and improvements have been made to my "engine code" over the years while developing Hyper Ultra Astronautics.
I decided to drop the built-in level sharing mechanism, because it was a maintenance nightmare and due to the fact that during last three years it has been used only three times in total.
I will no longer build a 32-bit Linux version, because practically no-one downloads that anymore.
Here's the full list of changes:
- Dropped Direct3D support (was never used by default anyway).
- Fixed some compatibility issues on Linux (no more libpng dependency).
- Added monitor selection in system menu.
- Added monitor gamma adjustment in system menu.
- Added V-sync interval setting to system menu.
- Prevented "Automatic lockdown.." voice announcement from playing in editor preview mode.
- Rewrote collision sound volume calculation.
- Fixed random crashes at exit.
- Added itch.io manifest files and cleaned up remaining references to Desura.
- Switched to use SDL2 game controller mappings for much better gamepad support.
- Fixed crash when starting level editor repeatedly.
- Removed level upload/download support.
There has been a lot of code changes, so I would be surprised if there are no new bugs. If you encounter any problems, please report them and I'll sort them out.
Check out the release trailer for some in-game video footage:
The new version has been uploaded to Itch.io: Fractilegames.itch.io
Check out the official game page for more information: Fractilegames.com