• Register

Beret is a 2D puzzle-platformer game about a scientist, astonishingly named Beret, who has gained telekinetic abilities through his research at the Evil Corporation. He decides that the Evil Corporation is a tad too evil for his liking, and begins his solitary quest to overthrow the corporation and punish the evil deeds of his employers. Beret has 21 puzzle-filled levels, 120 collectable Medallions, over 20 hours of gameplay, and an unlockable level editor.

Forum Thread
Spike pit in level 21 (Games : Beret : Forum : Bug Reports : Spike pit in level 21) Locked
Thread Options
Aug 3 2011 Anchor

Hi,

Apparently this is the forum to mention level design issues in, so I'll go ahead and mention something I didn't like about the last level - the tall vertical room with the more-or-less randomly distributed spikes to dodge.

I realize the last level may have been intended to evoke a more classical platforming feel, thus the tricky platforming, spike-dodging and the various boss rooms. However, I thought that this particular room was kind of unfair and sloppily designed. Maybe there was an easier trick I was missing, but I had to make it through by trial-and-error. In fact, I once made it through the spikes on the left-hand side, and watched the exit pass me by on the right as I fell into a bottomless pit. I had no way of knowing I had to land right there beforehand.

Does Beret even have a terminal velocity? It seemed like in this room he kept accelerating forever and kept falling faster and faster. I had hardly any time to see what was ahead of him before he hit it.

==

Anyway, I think a simple fix to start out with would be to have Beret start on solid ground, and have to manually jump off to start his descent. This would allow the player to use the camera to look down and survey the room before he jumped, and find the exit. This wouldn't require any additional level design or replacement. On the other hand, this room could be replaced with some other kind of classical platforming challenge, such as the trek across the long bottomless pit, or the long vertical climb with falling or otherwise temporary platforms.

I thought the rest of the level was pretty good, and I thought the boss rooms were fine. I just didn't like this particular room and think it kind of sours the whole thing.

Aug 3 2011 Anchor

Hi Leylite,

Thanks for the comments about this section; I think you definitely have a valid point. I felt that the trial and error aspect was mitigated by the speed at which you can restart the room, but I agree that the overall idea wasn't great and was executed sloppily. I'll see what I can do for a future release.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.