• Register

Beret is a 2D puzzle-platformer game about a scientist, astonishingly named Beret, who has gained telekinetic abilities through his research at the Evil Corporation. He decides that the Evil Corporation is a tad too evil for his liking, and begins his solitary quest to overthrow the corporation and punish the evil deeds of his employers. Beret has 21 puzzle-filled levels, 120 collectable Medallions, over 20 hours of gameplay, and an unlockable level editor.

Forum Thread
Cheat (I think) for Orange Medallion in level 12 (Games : Beret : Forum : Bug Reports : Cheat (I think) for Orange Medallion in level 12) Locked
Thread Options
Aug 3 2011 Anchor

In level 12 (the 2nd boss level), You can get the orange medallion piece on the right side of the room with the boss door without having
to go through the annoying blocks. You can use the Infectling to turn every robot in the room into an infectling and place the yellow firework on top.
Then you can jump up onto the firework (not directly, you have to use some fancy telekenisis while jumping) and get the piece. I call this not just an alternate solution but a cheat because it ruins the puzzle of going through the Annoying blocks. (I still haven't figured that puzzle out)

Aug 3 2011 Anchor

Hahaha... nice. :) I just tried it out myself. I'll have to decide whether I think this is an acceptable alternate solution or not. I don't like having alternate solutions that are either too easy to figure out or too hard to execute, but this one's actually kind of clever and isn't that hard to pull off. It does totally skip the intended puzzle though, so... well, I'll figure out what to do. Thanks for pointing it out!

Aug 3 2011 Anchor

I just wanted to say that I really like Beret. The puzzles are one ingenious solution after another, and to put it Isocration's way, the amount of times you made me say "I have to do what here?" is amazing (As well as the amount of times you make me say OH COME ON!!!!! I have to go all the way back to the beginning of the room!!!!). I would have to say my favorite puzzle was the orange medallion piece in level 13 where you had to move the green switch. I love the fact that you have a level editor. It really makes me enjoy the game even more.
A few things I thought were interesting and fun:

You put the signs for fake blocks and fake fireworks AFTER you encounter them.

The bosses are incredibly hard! (ESPECIALLY the 2nd one) (How come you can't place bosses in the level editor?). I can beat most speedruns except for the boss level ones.

The aura things are really annoying, as well as some of the other enemies. I thought they were very well-designed. (Is there any way to kill the Antiseekers? What happens if you put them in the level editor? How would you get the red medallion?)

The final level was perhaps your best idea in my opinion. It would have been somewhat anticlimactic to have finished the game after defeating the third Evil. I am currently in the middle of the Final Boss and I think it is crazy that he senses where you are and hits different switches according to that.

Aug 4 2011 Anchor

Heehee, thanks! Your comments brought a smile to my face. (An evil smile.)

I think the fake blocks are one of my favorite enemies, and I had a little game with myself while designing the levels to try to put them in places that the player would least expect. I love watching people encounter the one at the end of level 11 (attached to the link block that you have to destroy) - it made all of my playtesters jump.

Hm... I'm pretty sure the reason I disabled bosses in the level editor is because there's some pretty specific scripting for them that makes it hard to put them in a room that isn't nearly identical to the one I made for them. I might be able to come up with something for a future release though to put them back in.

I did some testing with the Antiseekers just now (I never intended the player to have to kill them, as I added them on a whim for the final level), and I found five different ways of killing them. I'll let you figure them out for yourself. :)

Have fun with the final level, and if you make anything cool in the level editor, let me know! I'd love to see a player-designed level.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.