It's been a long ride and yet the journey is only beginning. The demo is finally out and I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Keep in mind that it is pre-alpha, a lot is currently under development and player feedback will ultimately help shape the game.
I'm one guy, so I don't have a QA team, I only have you guys. I'll need all the feedback I can get. Because I'm one guy, I also have limited sources for testing, so the minimum requirements for now are definitely subject to change. If you could provide me with your PC specs, that would be greatly appreciated!
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system (This won't change)
- OS: Currently only tested on Windows 10, should be compatible with 7 and 8.
- Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66 GHz
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 12 GB available space
- Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
- Remember to update your video drivers!
Graphic Presets: If you experience low/unsteady FPS, for testing purposes it may be suitable to play on Medium or lower with V-sync disabled. The skeleton/rig for the models is currently using an unnecessary amount of bones which is putting more stress on the CPU. I am waiting on an update for a 3rd party tool I am using so I can bake away the extra bones.
- Very Low, Low, Medium = All have v-sync disabled. Texture resolution is half, the difference between them is animation quality and shadows are disabled.
- High, Very High, Ultra = All have v-sync enabled. Texture resolution is full, the difference between them is animation quality and shadows are disabled. Ultra has full animation quality.
- Ultra (Shadows) = Has v-sync and shadows enabled, animation quality at full quality.
1. Unzip the file, read the Readme, run the application/exe. You may need to update to the latest version of WinRar/7zip.
- This is a combat demo that will form the foundation of "Tourney Mode". Dead Monarchy is an ambitious game but I am only one person so I have decided to develop in a modular and iterative fashion. Combat in "Tourney Mode" is fast, intimate and chaotic. When I eventually add the overworld map for exploration, Dead Monarchy will progress into "Monarchy Mode". At that point, tourney combat will become a side activity. Please keep in mind that tourney combat is not the entirety of Dead Monarchy, it is just where Dead Monarchy is currently at in its development cycle.
- The goal of the demo is to keep your mercenary company afloat for at least 30 days and complete the demo boss fight that appears on the 30th day. You will have to manage your gold and food supplies while taking on increasingly difficult fights. If you are defeated, you can try again so long as there is at least one mercenary still alive in your company.
- This is a self contained experience that can last anymore between 6-12 hours, depending on how fast you pick up the combat system. It is meant to be hard but at the same time my explanation of the mechanics may not be as streamlined as I'd like. Once again, one person, limited time. Any questions, feel free to send me a message.
- There are some changes if you watched the YouTube series. Might is now called Strength. Company morale reduces/increases by 25%. Part of using rapid iterative development is that I often come back and update things, but being one person, updating the rest of the related information may slightly lag behind.
- There is a bug that sets all player unit armor/helmet rating to 0. There is a bug during initialization during combat. If you find that during place that all units have no helmet/armor rating, exiting and reloading the demo should fix it, looking into a fix ASAP!
List of Issues:
- Time of day lighting currently doesn't save, will fix after resting once.
- Camera will automatically reset and focus back on the player when closing the inventory screen, can be annoying.
- Part of the UI for the unit placement, toggles on and off after selecting a unit, still being looked into.
- There currently isn't a menu that can be accessed during combat, you'll have to manually close the program if you want to exit during combat. Autosaves take place at the start of combat, after unit placement.
- Maximum of 10 icons on the shortcut bar, since ability trees are not fully implemented, any ability over 10 will not be accessible, it will be extended to 15 in the future.
- Shop user interface is not fully implemented yet, quantity selections not in.
- Autosave messages are not implemented when autosaving takes place. Triggers are mentioned in the game guide.
- Rare glitch that results in animation freezing after decapitation/crushed head deaths.
- If there is no one in your current battle party, IE after coming back from a defeat accessing the inventory will show the player character in the inventory, adding combatants back to your party will fix this issue.
- Crowds are not implemented yet as models are still not fully optimized. I would love to trigger the crowd to go wild and play an animation after a decapitation, the sound is in though. So the crowd is with you in "spirit".
- Shadows are only available in "Ultra (Shadows). Shadows need to be optimized more, I haven't gotten around to it quite yet. Shadows are quite taxing even on Ultra. I really don't recommend playing with shadows.
- Some text elements in UI's are blurry, this is another issue with Unity itself that I am trying to resolve.
- Currently you cannot pick dialogue options with shortcuts/numeric keys. Some icons for items, are placeholder.
- There is no message for when a mercenary leaves your company due to 0% company morale.
- For now, you can't skip the intro scenes, as it is essentially a loading screen that loads the first scene in Unity.
I'll be watching the demo release like a hawk, so please send me any feedback and thanks for downloading. Once again you can contact me through:
The official website and forums: Dead-monarchy.com
Dead Monarchy on Twitter and Facebook: @Dead_Monarchy.
I'm also on the codex, I post quite frequently there and then branch out to other forums.