Mod Kit Instructions
- Download the unreal launcher here: Unrealengine.com
- Unreal Engine 4 documentation can be found here: Docs.unrealengine.com
- After the launcher is downloaded and installed, click on the 'Modding' tab on the top of the launcher and install the Hello Neighbor Mod Kit.
- Once the Hello Neighbor Mod Kit is installed click the "Launch" button.
Creating a mod
Unreal Engine uses their "Plugin" system for handling mods. You will be creating a "Plugin" as a mod to make it easy to package your mod and share it with others. The current version of Hello Neighbor Beta 3 doesn't directly support the plugin system yet. However, the mods can be still played using the editor. Using the Plugin system will future proof your mods for future versions of Hello Neighbor that have more robust mod support.
- Inside the Unreal Editor, use the menu to navigate to Edit -> Plugins
- At the bottom of the window, click on the "New Plugin" button.
- Fill in the Plugin information on the new screen provided.
- You should now see your plugin in the content browser at the same level as the Hello Neighbor content.
- Build in whatever maps, blueprints, or assets you want to use in your mod in the plugin folder.
Distributing a mod
Distribution will change in future versions for Hello Neighbor and the Hello Neighbor Mod Kit as direct UE4 plugin support is added
- Go to Edit->Plugins and find your mod under 'Other' at the bottom of the Plugin List.
- Click on "Package"
- The folder the package creates should look something like this:
- This is the folder you should distribute. It is recommended to put it on a shared drive or use a compression file like .zip or .rar.
Playing a mod
Mods currently must use the Hello Neighbor Mod Kit to play. Put the mod files into the Plugins folder in the Hello Neighbor Mod Kit, load a map and press the play button. If you are working on your own local Plugin, they will already be there.
You can also run the game using the UE4Editor -game to run it from the game or open the console and use the "Open" command. UE4 won't recognize your map unless it's in the Content/Maps folder in the Hello Neighbor Mod Kit.
Join our modding competition
To celebrate the launch of mod support in Hello Neighbor, we are running a competition in partnership with tinyBuild, Epic Games and Dynamic Pixels. Read on for details, but once your mod is made we highly encourage you to submit it!