• Register

Beret is a 2D puzzle-platformer game about a scientist, astonishingly named Beret, who has gained telekinetic abilities through his research at the Evil Corporation. He decides that the Evil Corporation is a tad too evil for his liking, and begins his solitary quest to overthrow the corporation and punish the evil deeds of his employers. Beret has 21 puzzle-filled levels, 120 collectable Medallions, over 20 hours of gameplay, and an unlockable level editor.

Forum Thread
Speed Run Level 18 (Games : Beret : Forum : Puzzle Help : Speed Run Level 18) Locked
Thread Options
Aug 6 2011 Anchor

I managed to beat the second boss speed run (After dying pitifully twice while clearing infectlings)- for me the key was to use the big wooden block in the 3rd room of the level to block the fake blocks from attacking.

I have ONE more medallion left before I have all 120- the speed run of level 18.

I have tried this speed run at least four times and each time I have gotten to the end of the FIRST ROOM with about 5 seconds left. By trying it more I could probably bring that up to 20 seconds, but even with that, I won't be able to get through the rest of the level before time runs out.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing a quicker way to get out of the first room. The way I am following goes:

Hit the first regenerator.
Hit the green switch and die.
Go from the first regenerator to the second regenerator (I couldn't do this before the green switch was changed)
Hit the green switch and die.
Go from the second regenerator to the third regenerator (Same reason I couldn't do this before as above)
Hit green switch AGAIN and die.
Use new green platforms to take arrow block around to top of room and throw it (To get up the vertical passage after the Aura things)
Die.
Use arrow block to climb vertical passage and leave room.

Is there a faster way, or do I just have to do this insanely fast?

Aug 7 2011 Anchor

Nope, that's the fastest way through the room. The rest of the level is pretty straightforward compared to that room, and can be done in about 25 seconds. There are a lot of little things that can save time in the first room, like making sure you don't throw the gravity block somewhere that you can't quickly reach it again, and not letting the aura drops and ghosts slow you down too much.

Keep trying!

Aug 8 2011 Anchor

I finally managed to make it through! I found the key was to not save state too often because that forced me to pause for a second or two. Also, I thought that the hardest part was the last room. The last room is hard to get through with about 9 seconds left.

Just wondering, why are there a few things in the level editor that are not in the actual game? (Like the small hopper-like spin thing that you can ride on and the gray block that looks like the matter version of antimatter) Were they things that you originally put in the game but took away later?

Also on the topic of the level editor, what do you mean by "upload your level somewhere and put a link here" on the levels part of this forum? Are we supposed to somehow extract the level file from our save files and post it somewhere or just post our entire save file somewhere?

Aug 8 2011 Anchor

Good for you!

Those items that aren't in the actual game were things that I programmed but never actually found a place for. The gray block was supposed to be a weight, but I never implemented any concept of mass in the game. The carrier thing might have some interesting puzzle potential - I just never got around to it.

The rooms that you create in the level editor are saved separately from your game data, in a 'rooms' directory. I'll put up an post on the Player Levels board about exactly how you share your levels, since I guess it is a non-obvious process.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.