• Register

Beret is a 2D puzzle-platformer game about a scientist, astonishingly named Beret, who has gained telekinetic abilities through his research at the Evil Corporation. He decides that the Evil Corporation is a tad too evil for his liking, and begins his solitary quest to overthrow the corporation and punish the evil deeds of his employers. Beret has 21 puzzle-filled levels, 120 collectable Medallions, over 20 hours of gameplay, and an unlockable level editor.

Forum Thread
Level 9 - Upper Left Orange Piece Crate Puzzle (Games : Beret : Forum : Puzzle Help : Level 9 - Upper Left Orange Piece Crate Puzzle) Locked
Thread Options
Aug 25 2011 Anchor

I've been trying to get the upper-left orange piece for this level ("spiky death division", located just past the level exit behind a door) in order to complete the orange medallion, but after several attempts over several days I'm going to ask for help because I think I'm missing something important.

My first question is the most important: After taking the orange medallion piece, is it possible to exit the room if the left concrete block has fallen down one crate-height from its original position? I'm pretty sure the answer to that is "no", since I've tried to get out of the room with the left concrete block on top of only two wooden crates without success. If the answer's "yes", though, then I'll get back to work and the next question is moot.

My second question pertains to how to get from the entrance to the orange medallion without letting the left concrete block fall, which I think is the main puzzle in this room. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get Beret to the other side of the left block tower, and this seems like a plan that could work:

0. Get to position in diagram from start of room (not difficult)

1. Throw nine-dotted block up into this position
1.5 Quickly slide plain block underneath block (1) before it falls, but so that it still supports the center block (4).

2. Move Beret into the center far enough so that:

3. Block (3) falls down to the ground.

4. Slide block (4) to the left.

This would result in both the left and right block towers remaining intact, very similar to how they are at the start of the room, only with Beret between them. At that point I could probably manage to get the orange medallion and escape. The obvious problem is that executing steps 1 and 1.5 seems like it requires impossible timing, not helped by the fact that I play the game with a touchpad.

So, is this what I need to do to solve the puzzle, or is there some simpler way that doesn't require fast reflexes?

Edited by: Leylite

Aug 25 2011 Anchor

I found this to be the trickiest puzzle in the game.

You don't have to have fast reflexes to do this puzzle- but I don't remember the exact solution.

I think it involves getting everything that was in your 1st picture EXCEPT switch the positions of Beret and the block on his head. I don't remember exactly how to do this, however.
I also remember it invovles standing on the last possible pixel of a block. (or balancing something the same way).

Good luck!

Aug 25 2011 Anchor

Yes, this one is surprisingly tricky. (I wasn't trying to make it so hard!)

The intended solution is actually really easy to actually pull off and only requires a bit of precision (i.e. not to the pixel level), but it's weird enough that just now I had to figure it out again when I went to check the hint that I'm about to give you.

Anyway, the hint is that it's possible to get through that chamber without jumping at all and with the blocks ending up in exactly the same configuration as at the start.

Aug 26 2011 Anchor

Okay, that hint about not jumping is really useful to narrow things down and I'll try again later with that in mind.

Thanks!

EDIT: Got it, and indeed without jumping. Yup, that was weird, but it was definitely something I hadn't tried yet.

Edited by: Leylite

Aug 29 2011 Anchor

Hi, everyone. Well, I made it to this puzzle and I'm struggling. The "EEVIL!" at the top of the room sure isn't kidding.

Can anyone provide any further hints? The necessary "whirr, click" is failing to engage in my brain. Meanwhile, I'll keep at it.

Thanks.

[EDIT] ... and then my fiance came home and helped me work it out. :P

So I'm through and I got the last orange wedge, but where in the world is the white medallion? It's not a matter of I can't get to it, it's a matter of I don't see it! Also, do I need to exit this room the same way I came in?

So close, and yet so far!

[EDIT] ... Found the white medallion. Wasn't exactly in the same room. :P And the adventure continues!

Edited by: ray9na

Nov 9 2011 Anchor

Keep the blocks in the same position seems to require pixel perfection because rotating Beret either direction, the blocks drop a tiny bit because Beret is a bit too short to hold them in place, which ultimately leads to stone blocks falling. I managed to solve it anyhow.

Edited by: mizerydearia

--

come join us on irc @ freenode / #beret

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.