When I first started this project, I would have never known the real villain reveal himself to me as I was going over every story aspect in my mod. The original name for the main villain is called "The One." The only reason I picked that name because you know as the hip kids say, "Its hip and coool maan." As hard as I tried fitting him in there completely, I was close, but I had to scrap the character.
I studied more on the role of the antagonist on good writing character articles on the internet. How you should structure, and relate to the antagonist as much as you would if not more than the protagonist. (Which I should have done a looong time ago. Regret) Upon my findings, I did not follow one rule. At the end, I made a cheesy hell bent demon war lord that was killing and controlling his agenda of nothingness just for the sake of it. While I made summery's of his intentions for doing what he did, it was not central to the story. It felt just a add-on story that is just there to fill in the gaps. It was not natural but felt forced.
The first intention I made for The One was so that he can have the ultimate power.
The second intention, while a mile a way better, just did not cut it. Basically a simple revenge background story. So why cut an already good character?
The One did not felt organic for a antagonist. It all ultimately felt as if the player as been there done that ordeal. In any adventure game, you want the player to relay discover new motives for an antagonist. Its cultural background, beliefs, reasons for his doing. If you present a totally new world (Culture, life style, ect) to the player, then the player will find interest and have one of many reasons to continue on.
So I did mention I found just that in one of my other characters upon my reading of my story. It struck me like a light bulb on my head. Also filled with regret of not thinking things through sooner.
So who is this character I speak of? He was already in my story. While I would like to say, I refrain from doing so.
I can promise these things:
- The antagonist will be organically revealed in the story.
- You will discover a new culture with in the antagonist's realm's he makes.
- Based on real life of the person (the antagonist), his culture references and life. 20% real life story, 80% fiction.
(Already implemented. Thank god...)- Will effect every other character's rolls.
- Beautiful new strange worlds will come to life in his own worlds based on his work. (This might take awhile)
So this all sounds more adventure, but the mod will still have horror elements.
And this will make me go back and re-edit the final boss battle, including dialogue in some parts of the mod.
I am vary vary vary crystal clear sure this is the right thing to do. I know I regret it but I want to make this as polished I can and I have just hit that with the story. It will just take maybe a week or 2 to flush everything out in the story with the new changes. With the balance of school and full time job. I relay relay hope the fans and the voice actors don't take this as "Oh look another change, its never going to get done." And I do not take that as in a rude context, its just something in the back of my mind that haunts me almost every time I do this. That is the reason I am making a official document for the story and mod itself so that everything fits to the context, and road map of the game.
This news post will be the last until I give the word that the story and mod is officially documented and lines are fully recorded. So that's my main concern right now. I just hope at the end, that it all works out.
Fun fact! Did you know? Worst scraped ideas.
- That one of the level designs was 162 flights of stairs. In context of a abyss for the protagonist. SCP anyone?
- The original idea for getting to other places was a door appearing in your basement. And the glowing aurora light protruding out the edges of the door would represent that world.
- The protagonists wife was kidnapped by The One. Damsel in distress cliché.
- At the vary beginning on day one of brain storming for making a custom story, you where in a mansion, something was in the basement. You had to find a way in there.