Bots are still a work in progress, but we're super proud of how well they react to the surrounding dangers.
Attention, Small Soldiers!
TL;DR - Major Update #3 will focus on vastly improving the single player experience. This includes adding bots to PvE & PvP, plus lots more.
We know many of you absolutely love single player. It’s a convenient mode to jump in and out of as it doesn’t require the need to find an online server full of players. You can play to your heart’s content. However, we understand the biggest frustration is not being able to beat certain difficulty modes and earn the highest tier rewards. Part of this frustration comes from not knowing what enemy types you'll face on each level. We're still thinking of ideas, but some form of labelling for each level that hints at which enemies are to be expected in that level, may work quite well. In turn, players will have a better idea of the defenses needed before hand. In terms of balance and progression, the gameplay is not where it needs to be right now. Each level should be a challenge, but it should not feel frustrating. We're working hard on changing that.
After careful consideration, we’ve decided that Major Update #3 will focus on Single-player, with Major Update #4 focusing on our new game mode, Survival. COVID-19 has affected everyone, and it has put us behind schedule. By separating these updates, it enables us to work more efficiently. The last thing we will do is rush out an update just for the sake of it.
THIS SOUNDS GREAT. BUT WHEN WILL MAJOR UPDATE #3 ARRIVE?
We're hoping to launch by the end of December. No promises, though!
OKAY, COOL. BUT WHAT ABOUT SURVIVAL?
Our target is to launch the Survival update at the end of January 2021.
ABOUT THE BOTS
Hypercharge is primarily balanced around 2-4 players. By adding bots, we intend to close the gap between the difficulty harshness of single-player, as they will help to build defences and protect the Hypercore. In PvP, bots will feel dynamic and challenging. We’re using a lot of fuzzy logic and reactionary responses to the players/other bots actions. Adding random movement, gunfire, weapon decisions and low-health defensive play-styles should make them feel more exciting.
- You’ll be able to choose the number of bots; the difficulty will change based on the number of bots/players.
- Bots may be randomly generated, but we are considering allowing players to give them profiles to use. Or, they will use whatever Split-screen profiles you have saved.
- Bots will try their best to protect a Hypercore that receives the most amount of damage and/or have the most amount of enemies targeting it. We may allow them to respond to some voice commands so players can override their core target. If we do get around to bots respecting voice commands, we may allow them to follow you or be told to head to specific locations.
- If you find you're low on credits, don’t worry. Locate your friendly bot and take some credits from them. I’m sure they won't mind.
- Bots will help with power management. They’ll place batteries into power nodes. Although, we’re not 100% sure we will get throwing working.
- Bots will be available for Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. We are also trying to see how well they perform in Plague mode.
- We’re still exploring ideas, but the number of bots, and perhaps their difficulty, will be shown in the server rules, with other options to experiment with.
Here you can see a very helpful bot inserting a battery into the power node. Power managment FTW!
We’re putting more emphasis on enemy feedback. For example, enemies will show signs of deterioration the more damage they receive. This will give you a better sense of progression.
You'll finally be able to tell how much damage you have inflicted upon the Cargo plane.
Jets look more terrifying than ever.
The Tank will be easier to spot in outside areas such as the Garden.
AND MUCH MORE CONTENT PLANNED
Don't worry. We haven't forgotten about new maps, weapons, skins and the rest we've mentioned in the past. We aren't giving up on Hypercharge, it's just going to take a little longer to roll out the content throughout the next year. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
That’s it for today. As always, we are listening to your ideas and suggestions. Please keep them coming in. We are building Hypercharge, together. Thank you for reading and stay safe out there. We sincerely appreciate your support!
Have a brilliant start to the weekend. - Joe
- Digital Cybercherries.
Please note: We can’t promise that every single feature will make it into Major Update #3. This announcement is a development blog aimed to shed light on what we are working on, and hope to add in the future.