This member has provided no bio about themself...
Yeah, I have no shame :). Well, some: it's actually from Oryx's set for which I purchased a license. Check out Oryx Design Labs for all of them; he's got some cool stuff for low-pixel indie game devs.
Thanks for the good word! The 8bit sprites aren't quite public domain though - I purchased a license for them from oryxdesignlabs and have been very happy with them so far. I did do the extension into animation though as the oryx set is just the single image; that explains why they look good standing still but janky when moving ;). The 24bit images come primarily from Ails' '420' public domain set (google ails 420 to see it).
Yep! Most of the game is in the 'proving out the infrastructure' stage and I haven't worried too much about making it all look 'right' just yet. Loooot of polish waiting to be done after I get the systems themselves solid ;). Thanks for the feedback!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to spinning up more of the progression systems and seeing how the interplay between them all works. Originally I wanted to have every progression be impactful since those are more fun, like finding a legendary in Diablo - e.g. not "+5% damage" but rather "+50% damage". But working through the math, you end up with a system that can go out of whack very quickly, where the difficulty ramps too quickly between levels early on (so that it's still challenging later). Kind of like a spring simulation which goes haywire. There's a balance in there somewhere, but I suspect this'll involve a lot of testing and balancing. Luckily I've got 7 years to get it right ;)
Cool, thanks for the good word!
Love the look and feel!
Hey, thanks! Take a look at Oryx's stuff (oryxdesignlab.com) for more. I picked up a license for his 8bit sheets and have been using those as the starting point for the mobs. I'm hoping the shadows and lighting give it all a unique look-and-feel...
Hey, thanks! A long way to go, but I'm really enjoying working on it so far.
I switched DNS providers yesterday and hit a few bumps in the process, which probably explains why the links wasn't working. It seems to be good now - thanks for the heads up, though.
Thanks; it's a new (I think :)) technique I came up with that uses a very high-FOV 3D projection to generate the 2D shadows. I wrote a bit about it at a high level here: 7yrl.wordpress.com