• Register

Desura is a community driven digital distribution service for gamers, putting the best games, mods and downloadable content from developers at gamers fingertips, ready to buy and play. Welcome to the official Desura BLOG.

Forum Thread
Can't isntall Desura on Fedora 18 (Groups : Desura : Forum : Application Linux : Can't isntall Desura on Fedora 18) Locked
Thread Options
Jul 4 2013 Anchor

Hi,
When I try to install Desura on Fedora 18, I get this error:

include/SharedObjectLoader.h:75 - Error loading library libuicore.so: '/home/cysioland/Pobrane/desura/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: version `OPENSSL_0.9.8' not found (required by /home/cysioland/Pobrane/desura/lib/libcurl_desura.so.4)' [LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/cysioland/Pobrane/desura/lib]
anagromataf
anagromataf Mr. X
Jul 5 2013 Anchor

try desurium

--

Desurium is the open source version of Desura.
Not sure where to get desurium? Look here: Github.com
If you have problems check here:  Github.com 
If you need help go here: Webchat.freenode.net

Jul 7 2013 Anchor

i have half life 2 installed on steam but its saying not installed on desura what the heck is going on with that?

Jul 14 2013 Anchor

I have the exact same problem, so I tried desurium. Compiled it... Took freaking forever.

When it was done it started complaining that it didn't have CEF (chromium embeded). I ran what it told me to (compile_cef) and it gave me an unusable error. So I went and got a compiled 64bit CEF and it just didn't like it.

So now I'm back to square one. I think the problem is the dependency for the old old old ass version of libssl 0.9.8. Why can't desura just start using a more modern version of it? Desura is unusable on both fedora and ubuntu because of this. Above all that it seems like this is just like steam. Some wrapper app that embeds a browser. In the end, I think this entire project could have just been built as a chrome extension. This is a nightmare mess of dependencies and external libs that are distro dependent. The reason libssl and libcrypto 0.9.8 can't load on my Fedora install is because FEDORA DOESN'T OFFER SUCH AN OLD VERSION.

I would love to use desura, so despite my tone I would be happy for any fix or support I can get. But jeeze. I ventured into desura because of Project Zomboid. It was much easier to just download PZ instead of doing all of this through desura. So in the end, why would the PZ developers use desura if people can't use it to get their game? If its as simple as: they need it for a payment/DRM platform, I think you'll find developers will easily migrate to their own payment platforms and security. Failing that they can always go to steam.

As a suggestion, I think this project needs a re-think. From the ground up it needs to be much easier to install. If it was an easier build I think you would find there are plenty of supporters like me that would love to host a repository for desura. But its going to take some polishing on your end. That's ok though. Thats what linux is all about. And thats why we would jump off a bridge to support a project like this.

Last point, why CEF? Use a lighter and smaller webkit browser. Or dont use a browser at all.

I guess in short, we need help either raising the dependent version of libssl/libcrypto on desura, or need help figuring out how to get libssl0.9.8 installed on newer versions of popular RPM/DEB based distros.

[SUBSCRIBED]

UPDATE:

Here is the error I get when running ./build_desura.sh compile_cef

make[3]: *** [out/Release/obj.target/net/net/base/x509_certificate_nss.o] Error 1make[2]: *** [cef-prefix/src/cef-stamp/cef-build_cef] Error 2make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cef.dir/all] Error 2make: *** [all] Error 2

UPDATE 2:

Downgrading NSS from 3.15 to 3.14 seems to have gotten the CEF compilation past the initial error.

UPDATE 3:

After a few hours of compiling, and dependency goose chases, I finally got desurium to compile. I had to downgrade NSS so that I could complete the step that compiled CEF.

So it finished compiling and I got excited when I saw the login screen. Typed in my username and password, logged in, and up popped desura. Within a few milliseconds of seeing it trying to load the home page (identical to the home page of the website) it disappeared. Crashed would be a better word.

Here is the only thing it says in the terminal:

$XDG_CONFIG_HOME not set, falling back to $HOME/.config.$XDG_CACHE_HOME not set, falling back to $HOME/.cache.

I've tried removing my original chromium .cache and .config folders to make sure nothing from my previous chromium use was messing with CEF. Who knows at this point.

This is insane. How can it be this difficult?

anagromataf
anagromataf Mr. X
Jul 16 2013 Anchor

dear flexgrip; a few remarks;

at this time there is noone from desura actually developing the client; all they did is push out source code; all efforts that have been done are community efforts;

at first desurium was using the same insane build system as chromium, which was a big big mess; so a nice person called "karolherbst" ported it to cmake,

I guess you are using fedora, fine, if you'd look at my signature you'd see "Not sure where to get desurium? Look here: Github.com" we have rpm and deb packages (don't be irritated, opensuse also builds fedora packages (18 currently only)),

if you encounter any errors; either go to freenode or open a bug; (we already have a bug open for nss);
also desura as a service offers download trough a client, or standalone downloads;

yes compiling cef is a horror; have you ever tried compiling chromium? that is where it comes from (and we have noone who can port our code to a newer version (as I said before everything is community only) so we are stuck with chromium 15)

Edited by: anagromataf

--

Desurium is the open source version of Desura.
Not sure where to get desurium? Look here: Github.com
If you have problems check here:  Github.com 
If you need help go here: Webchat.freenode.net

Jul 20 2013 Anchor

It's easy, Just download Desura from the website and double click it. It updates and stats desura... I'm runing desura in Fedora 18 with a netbook.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.