Games Of Edan
Based in Australia
October 17 2017
$4.99 - Steam
Carve an ice-cool path through the Tron-like Matrix of ICEBOX: Speedgunner as you run-and-gun your way through this 3D platformer. THE CLOCK IS TICKING... Race the clock, top the leaderboards and destroy the Central AI, in your quest to escape the ICEBOX and become the Ultimate Speedgunner. Inspired by the "Brain in a Vat" thought-experiment, this game leverages it's Run & Gun Gameplay to explore the concept of escaping your own virtual prison.
STUDIO: Game Of Edan
AUTHOR: Carmine Fantarella
ABOUT THE DEVELOPER
I was introduced to computers and programming very early in my childhood, writing text adventures on my Commodore 64 - in between building electronic kits from Dick Smiths and making my own board games.
I remember playing games like Impossible Mission, Spy Hunter, F1 Pole Position, International Soccer, and later PC games like Tomb Raider, Doom, Duke Nukem. I also loved the graphical adventures, especially from Sierra and Lucas Arts.
When I started programming tiny games and 3D engines in my teenage bedroom, no obvious path existed to becoming an 'independent developer'; not as far as I could tell anyway. Shareware games existed and gaming magazines were big, but you still needed a publisher. Digital distribution chains were non-existent and websites were something new and exclusive.
So I decided to keep my artistic passion a hobby and followed a more traditional career path - studied Electronic/Electrical Engineering at Adelaide Uni, worked at the Department of Defence, then later as a private Software Contractor at places like BAE.
I then pivoted into buying, renovating and selling a few houses; all the while continuing work on software like 3D engines and database front-ends. My wife & I lived in each house for a year or two, renovating as we went.
Eventually we built our own home and I project managed the entire build.
I founded Games Of Edan in 2013, and commenced prototyping ideas while I gained more experience with the Unity 3d Engine and the game development communities, both locally and online.
Nowadays, what's most important to me, as an Independent Games Developer, is exposing myself to new experiences, enjoying my time and relationships, learning and making 'stuff' I'm proud of, and being a positive role-model for my son. Everything else is a bonus...
SIDE NOTE: Icebox is derived from colloquial terms for Solitary Confinement - "The Hotbox" & "The Cooler"
- SPEEDRUNNING: Race the clock to become the ultimate Speedgunner
- RUN-AND-GUN: 3D platforming combined with fast-and-light FPS
- GLITCH MODE: Manipulate time, gravity and engage protective shields
- DOUBLE-JUMPS: Carve an ice-cool path using double-jumps
- DYNAMIC MUSIC: Dynamically managed using an 'intensity' meter
- LEADERBOARDS: Compare your mastery on the global Leaderboards
- GAME+ MODE: Unlock features like Random World Seeds, Dash and Free Flight
ICEBOX: Speedgunner Trailer (Abridged) YouTube
ICEBOX: Speedgunner Trailer YouTube
AVCon Indie Showcase - ICEBOX:Speedgunner - Player Attack Stage, July 2017 YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Official Selection, AVCON 2016" Indie Games Room
- "Official Selection, AVCON 2017" Indie Games Room
- "Giving an entirely new meaning to run-and-gun, ICEBOX: Speedgunner is a first-person shooter designed for speed, speed, and more speed. Heavily inspired by the Tron universe, and at times feeling like Superhot, the Adelaide-based creation is an absolute speedrunner’s dream."
- Chris Button, PC Authority
- "Icebox was the perfect mix of art style, easy to learn but hard to master gameplay and endless replayability that I love. It’s not one good element, it’s the way they meld together to create a great experience"
- Aidan Evans-Williams, D1DLC
- "Recently I had a chance to try it out at AVCon as it was part of the Indie Games Room, and was an absolute blast to play. Particularly the speed run mode which had me wanting to come back again and again for its addictive and fun gameplay, tight controls and to take on the leaderboards."
- Seamus Mullins, Press-Start
- "it would fuel a very competitive, dedicated section of gamers who are intent of besting each others times"
- Matthew Lee, Pixel Pop Network
Games Of Edan allows for the contents of ICEBOX: Speedgunner to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from ICEBOX: Speedgunner is legally & explicitly allowed by Games Of Edan. This permission can be found in writing at https://www.indiedb.com/games/icebox/presskit.
The game's landing page gamesofedan.com/icebox.
ICEBOX: Speedgunner Screenshots indiedb.com/games/icebox/images.
Gameplay Videos & Mini-Clips
ICEBOX: Speedgunner Gameplay & Mini-clips indiedb.com/games/icebox/videos.
Icebox has been Greenlit on Steam! gamesofedan.com/post/149403363782/icebox-has-been-greenlit.
About Games Of Edan
Indie Video Game Studio located in South Australia. Founded in 2013 by Carmine Fantarella, Owned & Operated by Capricorn 76 Pty. Ltd. ICEBOX:Speedgunner is the studio's first commercial game.
More information on Games Of Edan, our logo & relevant media are available here.