After working on the game for almost three years, I've just released GunHero on Steam!
GunHero is a 2D-action-platformer-shooter filled with handcrafted levels set in various environments, where each one contains its own unique dangers. Your task is simple: save the world from the evil Count Darkcape.
Here's the release trailer for the game which I'm really proud of.
The core features of the game are:
- Over 100 handcrafted levels set in five different environments
- Multiple weapons to choose from
- Grenades and explosions
- Fast, satisfying combat with permanent blood decals
- Multiple enemy types, including generals, bazooka men and grenadiers
- Laser beams, elevators and missile launchers
- Double jumping and ladder climbing
- Powerup shield to block incoming damage
- Propellers, blade spinners and tanks
- Ferris wheels, lava and spike balls
- Flame traps, trampolines and fireball cannons
Here's a screenshot of the game taken in October, 2014. The game has definitely come an incredibly long way. I've improved in art a whole lot as you can probably easily see.
For reference, here's a screenshot of the game in its current state:
The game has been developed completely by me. I consider programming my strongest area, and that's definitely also what I enjoy doing the most. Making the music for the game was definitely one of the most interesting challenges, given that I hadn't really made any music on a computer before. I've played the guitar for a little over five years so luckily I had some musical background which meant that I didn't have to start from zero. As for the art, as mentioned above, I've definitely come a long way on it. I'm extremely proud of some of the things I drew for the later portion of the game which I won't spoil you here.