Based in South Africa
May 21 2018
$9.99 - Steam
Dubbed the "funniest take on mystic doomsday cults in years", Fhtagn! is a choose-your-own-adventure game where you can play as one of four cultists intent on destroying the world by summoning an Ancient Horror. Decide how you will be preparing for the final ritual by visiting various locations in the unsuspecting town of Arkham and navigating iconic Lovecraftian events. Battle investigators, gangs, corrupt cops and horrors from the Depths to bring about the end of the world!
In an effort to raise extra funds for our flagship title "The Creeping Madness", we created a game based on our love for stories, the Lovecraftian universe and all things outrageous. Fhtagn! is intended to be a short, replayable game where you experience ludicrous, action-packed and hilarious stories in a Lovecraftian setting.
This text-based adventure game boasts:
• 93 000 words.
• Across 113 events with 370 potential story outcomes.
• Fulfil 1 of 24 roles with 56 role feedback stories.
• 142 different character endings.
The game shines in local co-op or screen-share with friends and it is a casual game that will provide loads of entertainment. With snazzy graphics, betrayal is best served with a jazzy/swing soundtrack and neo-noir visuals
We will be releasing the Dark Young expansion on 22 October 2018. This expansion sports a new cult, Ancient One, useable items, more stories, more investigators and mechanics.
In its first instalment, this party/boardgame-esque game saw the cult of The Dreaming Eye trying wake the thing of the idols, that green, sticky spawn of the stars (can you guess who?) to claim the world. Now, there is a new cult in town – The Thousand Young. These sycophantic backstabbers are devoted to the All-Mother and Mother only wants the best and the brightest. You have 6 rounds to build up the required stats needed to use the ritual items in the final ritual, but you also need to outwit your “friends” and make sure it is them on the chopping block and not you. For every successful round you complete, you get ‘Not It’ stacks, which you use in the end of the game to determine who will be sacrificed to dear Mother. The player who receives the most votes will become the juicy glazed ham on the altar in the Dark Forest. Or will they? Should you be voted as the sacrifice, you will have the chance to escape and GTFO outta there!
Gameplay in a nutshell
• You are a cultist intent on destroying the universe by summoning the Ancient One. Why? Damned if we know…
• You can play on your own or with up to 3 friends in couch co-op.
• Start by choosing which Ancient One you want to summon. This will then reveal the prophecy and the ritual items you have available to summon your chosen Ancient One.
• You have 6 rounds to build up the required stats needed to use the ritual items, but you will need to figure out which stats those are through some trial and error.
• You can visit 1 location per round and attempt the Lovecraftian stories at that location, to improve your stats.
• Finally, put your stats to the test as you try to summon the Ancient One.
• Will everyone pass or fail or will one of you betray the rest and grab all the glory?
Fhtagn! Content Creator
We are so passionate about the idea of stories that we created an application, the Fhtagn! Content Creator, for players to write their own stories for the game and enjoy it with their friends. All that is needed is a story idea and no programming is required. We provided players with a Quick start video guide, Content Creator Guide and even released all of Fhtagn!'s event stories to aid in this process.
Talk to us
Thank you for taking the time to read about our game. We absolutely support any efforts of the media to write content about Fhtagn! - Tales of the Creeping Madness. The media are also welcome to share screenshots or videos of the game outside the ones we supplied.
Please feel free to contact us should you require any information. We are happy to help in any way we can.
- Fun local co-op, play cooperatively or be a backstabbing traitor.
- Short and silly events in a Lovecraftian universe.
- Randomized stories based on location.
- Replayability and minimization of content fatigue by giving new or unseen stories a higher chance of appearing.
- Casual gameplay, ideal for those downtime moments or while in a queue for another game.
- Non-linear gameplay.
- Multiple endings.
- Multiple Ancient Ones, items and opponents.
- Steam Achievements.
- Steam Cloud Support to track your progress.
Fhtagn! Trailer YouTube
Fhtagn! Gameplay Video YouTube
Fhtagn! Content Creator YouTube
Fhtagn! Expansion Reveal Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "As such… It’s tightly designed, fun to play with friends, got a lot of humour and charm, and you can make new content for it? That’s two squamous appendages up, Fhtagn!"
- Jamie Durbin, The Mad Welshman
- "Fhtagn! - Tales of the Creeping Madness is an amusing text-driven choose-your-own-adventure game with a snazzy style and dark humor."
- Trevor Whalen, TechRaptor
- "Fhtagn! is still a fantastically humorous take on Lovecraft and with a fantastical art style..."
- Callum Shephard, Starburst Magazine
Design Imps allows for the contents of Fhtagn! - Tales of the Creeping Madness to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Fhtagn! - Tales of the Creeping Madness is legally & explicitly allowed by Design Imps. This permission can be found in writing at https://www.indiedb.com/games/fhtagn-tales-of-the-creeping-madness/presskit/.
Content Creator Guide
You can find our guide on how to use the Content Creator here drive.google.com/open?id=1hCfFu0_DLKey5KTDP2qve8TYS3ZOWcda.
We also made all of Fhtagn’s stories available to the community drive.google.com/open?id=1hCfFu0_DLKey5KTDP2qve8TYS3ZOWcda.
Fhtagn's Content Creator Forum
Please visit Fhtagn's forum page for more information on the Content Creator, to make suggestions or to see discussions regarding the mod. steamcommunity.com/app/802400/discussions/0/1692669912406327550.
About Design Imps
Design Imps is an independent game development studio based in South Africa. We are a talented group of dreamers and we make the games we want to play. We want to immerse ourselves in alternate realities, not to escape, but to enjoy the gift of dreaming. We also like playing and making games about being the ‘bad guy’ with some humorous undertones.
More information on Design Imps, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Fhtagn! - Tales of the Creeping Madness Credits