• Register
Forum Thread
Will the Xash3D engine increase the precache limit of my CS 1.6 server? (Forums : Development Banter : Will the Xash3D engine increase the precache limit of my CS 1.6 server?) Post Reply
Thread Options
Dec 18 2022 Anchor

Hello, some years ago i started developing a Zombie Mod server based on Zombie Plague Advance 1.6.1. Since then, my mod became very complex and now i'm reaching the precache limits of the GoldSrc engine. One of the limits of GoldSrc is that you can not add more than 512 models. Once you add more than 512 models to the game, the server will either crash or not load at all; or, if it loads, some of the excess models won't be loaded and shown on the map.

Here is an example of an error:

So, for my mod development, i use the cracked version of CS 1.6. In that version, HL and CS are part of the same directory and are not separated. By "separated" i mean like it is in Steam.

EDIT: Wait a moment, i'm wrong. Actually, HL and CS are not separated in Steam. When i open Steam and click on CS' "Browse local files" option and HL's "Browse local files" option, it always opens the same directory: "steamapps -> common -> Half-Life".

So, if i install the Xash3D engine into the cracked version of CS 1.6, will the new engine affects my Zombie Mod and make the limit of models to be 1024 or more? I heard that the Xash3D's limit is increased from 512 to 1024. Also, it's open source, so i will be able to further increase the limit when i learn more advanced coding beyond Pawn.

Also, Xash3D is 64bit, not 32bit, right? How will the game be affected by the new 64bit engine?

If i'm going to replace the currently-in-use GoldSrc with Xash3D, i will use the method shown in this video: Youtube.com

So, what do you think, people? Tell me everything i need to know about the new engine.

I have some more questions now. I installed the engine to my original Half-Life i have on Steam, by creating a copy of the "valve" folder, moved to a different directory that has nothing to do with Steam. Then i opened the game and saw the welcome screen is different than the original, indicating the new engine was successfully installed. Now, i want to be 100% sure the engine truly works perfectly. Would you tell me some obvious bugs and glitches in GoldSrc that are fixed in Xash3D? I would like to perform the bugs and glitches in the GoldSrc-based HL, then to try to replicate those bugs and glitches in the Xash-3D-based HL, so i can be 100% sure the Xash3D engine truly works.

Thanks. :)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.