• Register
Forum Thread
GoffmanOfficial (Half-Life 2 Mod Dev) is using Alt Accounts to bolster his own mod review scores and target/downvote Moddb Users (Forums : Support : GoffmanOfficial (Half-Life 2 Mod Dev) is using Alt Accounts to bolster his own mod review scores and target/downvote Moddb Users) Locked
Thread Options
Aug 29 2021 Anchor

As stated in the topic, the Moddb user and Half-Life 2 mod developer GoffmanOfficial is using alternate accounts to bolster his own review scores, as well as to target/downvote other Moddb users. The first time he was caught preforming such actions was 4 years ago, when he targeted the developer of Hobo-Life (another Half-Life 2 mod). Though I do not remember the outcome of this feud, it has been a talking point in the community for years there after. Goffman had seemed to grow up at this point (seemingly) and began to put his energy into his mod creating rather than griefing. However, according to the Moddb users BionicCoyote, he to began to be targeted seemingly out of nowhere, seeing his comments scrubbed from the site. Goffman would stop this practice at some point, instead choosing to target my account seemingly out of the blue. I have never been able to get an answer as to why he began targeting me, however I theorize it may be due to my high praise of the updated Hobo-Life mod (from the developer he was in conflict with). First, my comments where scrubbed without warning. Thinking it was a bug or my own mistake, I republished my comments, only to have them pulled again shortly later. After questioning Goffman in further comments, only to have him remove them without answering, I moved my concerns to my review of the mod in question (Xen Forces: Breath of Xen). I did this knowing he would not be able to scrub this comment, I wanted others to be aware of the practices he was engaging in. Thinking it was over, I went to bed. After waking up today and checking the situation, I noticed some peculiar things. For one, all of the reviews that I had posted in relation to his mods suddenly had 5-6 disagrees on them OVERNIGHT. Additionally, in the case of Xen Forces: Breath of Xen, the review score had gone from being a 6/10 to a 7/10. After doing some digging in the reviews section (with the help of another user) we discovered that the accounts "hevada5605, likig673626, and bacifan805" had ALL been created on Aug 29, 2021 and only been used for the purpose of bolstering the reviews for Xen Forces: Breath of Xen. The reviews were also posted within a short time of each other, making the situation all the more suspicious. While I cannot prove that these alternate accounts were used to downvote my reviews, I think it goes without saying that it is the most likely cause of the overnight downvote explosion that occurred.

I have enjoyed the work of GoffmanOfficial for 4 years now, playing and thoroughly enjoying each of his mods. But after all of this, my opinion of the dev has drastically changed. While the removal of comments is upsetting, the use of alternate accounts to target other Moddb users and their posting should NEVER be acceptable, much less the practice of using these accounts to falsify review scores. Moddb staff, I am unsure of what measures can be taken for this, but I do hope that something can be done to prevent future abuse by this user. Thank you!

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.