Hi! It's been some time since the release of Dark and Bright, a very meaningful and personal project to me that tells you a story about life, friendship, depression and the constant evaluation of life.
The game has grown a lot since release and now receives a big update to version 1.1!
Thanks to all the players who gave me feedback on the game over the last year. It's much much appreciated, and I really think the game developed quite well thanks to that. There are numerous quality-of-life improvements which were added to the game, and also some whole new features! Check them out in the new trailer:
Read more about the changes to Dark and Bright 1.1 here:
- The game will become much more enjoyable to everyone who just wants to play a story and not focus too much on RPG or puzzle gameplay, thanks to a whole new difficulty mode introduced to the game: The "Story" difficulty setting.
- A new mission menu tab was added to the game. This is a real convenience feature for you: just look up where to go next if you want to proceed with the storyline. Of course you can still explore the world and play optional content besides the recommendation in this menu.
- The mission menu also shows you your progress on sidequests. This way, you won't miss a bonus level anymore!
- The game has undergone major rebalancing. While the toughest mode remains the same, all other difficulty settings have been revised. However, if the game still feels too difficult, the new Story mode might just be the right thing for you!
- Collect crowns! Be rewarded for a perfect level run more easily and gain an achievement for it - now allowing you to take damage at least once, recharge, miss a Quadrato and still gain a perfect run. Gameplay perfectionists may additionally like the crowns they'll wear in areas in which they have accomplished a perfect run.
- Minor story gaps have been addressed. A new cutscene and a few changes to some dialogs add more continuity to the storyline.
- Uncover new paintings in the musum, adding small bits of information to the story.
- Bonus levels and mines are affected by the chosen difficulty now, making it easier to finish them. Additional NPCs here and there may lend you some help.
While these were the biggest changes to the game, there are also plenty of smaller ones:
- No more charge at ViviBanks!
- Heal spots will only be activated if you lost lifepoints or energy (that one is quite essential when aiming at perfect level runs)
- "Start level" and "Explore Area" switched positions. No more misclicks!
- Common monsters do not instantly attack
- Slight adjustments to upgrade costs
- Some dialogs and cutscenes were shortened to avoid repititions
- Certain passages of the game have been changed to make them more player-friendly
- Certain lines have been added to a certain cutscene to give more answers to the story
- Major and minor bugfixes