Platinum Arts Sandbox Beta 2.0 Release Featuring Carts!
Platinum Arts Sandbox is a game design tool that allows users to quickly and easily create their own worlds, even cooperatively. It is free, open source, and easy to use. It is quickly picking up steam and is currently being used at a Middle School in Illinois and was used at the Summer Kids Camp at Mildred Elley College. In addition several other schools have contacted me about using it in their programs.
This release has so many new features that there is no way I could give it justice in only a few sentences. It has been updated far beyond the 1.2 version in so many ways. Here are the key improvements featured in this version:
- Driveable Carts via kartmode complete with a hovercart model
- New ogre model for 3rd person mode (press 9 to use it!)
- Codebase significantly updated including md5 support!
- New menu (still very much WIP, but features lots of cool stuff!!)
- Many New Maps: Floating Island Castle, House, ParticleShowcase (shows off all the cool particle effects!!), an updated tutorial map and a race track for kartmode!
- Lots of code cleanup thanks to the hard work of Hirato!!
- New higher quality texture set including lava!
- Moving platforms and elevators (featured in the castle map)
This release is mainly thanks to these great guys:
Hirato: Massive contributor to this release through coding, mapping, the new menu, etc. Without him this release wouldn't be nearly as solid and advanced.
Quin: Contributed Cart Code
Geartrooper: Contributed Cart Models
Cube 2 Community: Providing constantly updated source code and various other help and support
Platinum Arts Sandbox Beta 2.0 Downloads
Need help or information? Check out our new Platinum Arts Sandbox Wiki
In addition I would like to point out the addition of a new screenshot gallery featuring a house created by two 6 and 7 year old sisters!
As a note we are moving very fast now thanks to Hirato's awesome help so check back for future updates and releases! Take care and I hope you are enjoying Platinum Arts Sandbox!