New update introduces reworked national focuses with an emphasis on making research work a bit differently, so that big countries have an advantage compared to small ones, as it was technically easier in the unmodded game to turn Serbia into a technological powerhouse than to do the same thing with Russia.
List of Changes
- National focuses reworked, there are now political consequences to what the state does, as it was in real life. If you encourage workers, the number of socialists will also rise in the region for example.
- The encourage intellectuals(/clergy) national focus got changed to "Encourage technological progress" focus, which provides base research to a country and encourages intellectuals, as well as liberal ideology. The idea behind this is that smaller countries with smaller populations and less states will have less technological capital as well, which forces them to thoughtfully choose a tech tree to follow. Small countries will now no longer be able to be good at everything like their far bigger competitors.
- Literacy now doesn't provide a research bonus, it instead only increases pop promotion speed. This change was made because it was simply ridiculous that you had an easier time getting your literacy up as Luxemburg and researching everything while Russia was still stuck on medicine. Anyone with basic history knowledge knows that Russia had many inventors and scholars who contributed a lot to modern technology. Also, just because someone can read doesn't mean they're smart, it's a basic skill.
- Pops now care about discriminatory education. Education policy got introduced a while back, and it is only now that I realised that pops didn't care about it, well now they do.
- Changes to promotion and demotion. Most notably craftsmen will most likely never demote or promote to farmers/labourers, and literacy matters a bit more when it comes to promotion and demotion. This is to counterweight the fact that the player will most likely not longer promote craftsmen as much with national focuses.
- Pops with national cores will be slightly harder to assimilate.
- Other tweaks and fixes
As always, leave bug reports and suggestions in the comments bellow, or DM me.
There's also a discord channel group on the Victoria 2 modding server dedicated to this mod.