US Graphsim retail v1.017 patch.
Spartan by Slitherine Software - US Graphsim retail v1.017 patch
This updates the US Graphsim version of Spartan to 1.017 and includes the
Fixed in V1.017
V1.017 focuses on improving the gameplay by re balancing the difficulty levels,
major improvements in the AI and more feedback to the player about why the AI
is making the decisions it does. The changes in V1.017 are quite hard to
describe as they are all linked to gameplay & the feel of the game, so the
changes are numerous and scattered through the code & data, but here is an
attempt at a summary:
- The difficulty levels have been adjusted as new gamers were finding it far
too difficult. After 6 months of playing Spartan we decided the beta testers
were no longer the best source of feedback for how hard the game should be!
- The AI no longer starts with many more resources than the player & no longer
rushes player at the start of the game
- The AI maintains production of units into the later game & reacts more
quickly to the situation presented by the player & other AI sides.
- The starting positions of some nations adjusted to make them more playable -
most notably Sparta/Lacedaimon
- The AI\'s research choices are now much more balanced allowing the AI to
compete with the player on a much more even footing.
- The Persian & Roman invasions are more powerful
- A bug where the buy prices for generals & maintenance was incorrect has been
- The AI will no longer attack you without cause. The AI will now only attack
its enemies, so careful attention to diplomacy now really pays off.
- Friendly fire casualties have been reduced
- A bug where relationships were not effected by naval battles has been fixed
- The UI & list box behaviour have been improved to work more like Windows
- The AI deployment logic has been improved
- A bug where you were offered the wrong battle resolution options when the AI
attacked one of your fleets has been fixed.
- A bug in the diplomacy order descriptions has been fixed
- The formula used for Auto resolved combats has been improved
Fixed in V1.013
- The AI will now engage enemy armies far more frequently in the field.
- The AI will gather its troops together for more concerted attacks
- A bug where the AI would not siege player controlled cities has fixed.
- If you block the AI\'s path at a river crossing it will now attack the army
guarding the pass instead of trying to find an alternative route.
- The way the AI researches has changed. Instead of spreading its research
around it now picks one technology to go for and will keep pace with the player
in the technology race much more closely.
- The resources the AI was willing to spend at the start of the game have been
reduced to stop the AI rushing the player. The AI is now much more conservative
and presents a consistent challenge throughout the game instead of peaking and
slumping. been fixed.
- A bug where AI Naval invasions would sometimes get stuck at sea has been
- A bug where patrolling fleets would sometimes get stuck patrolling and never
return to land has been fixed
- The AI will make sure it does not send out more than 10% of its army on naval
- A bug where some diplomatic actions could earn you hundreds of thousands of
silver has been fixed.
- A bug where some buildings failed to display their graphic on the city screen
has been fixed.
- Descriptions of units that are not available in the scenario will no longer
appear in the Pedia.
- A bug where the Persian invasion force was inactive after an initial assault
has been fixed.
- Alliances have been made easier to attain. They do not require such a high
relationship and are now a more realistic gameplay option.
- A bug that caused diplomats not to be sent out on some maps has been fixed.
- Sparta has had its woodmill swapped for a farm to ease its food needs at the
start of the game and make it far more playable for a new player.
Fixes in V1.009
- The radar map in battles can be toggled on/off with the TAB key
- BACKSPACE and DELETE keys now cancel the movement path of a selected army at
the campaign level
- A mercenary barracks has been added to the build tree - available at Silver
Tech 2. It allows you to recruit Mercenary Hoplites who are similar to normal
Hoplites, but are cheaper to recruit and very expensive to maintain.
Mercenaries are also better trained - i.e. have better combat stats but with
lower morale to reflect the lack of loyalty to your cause.
- When you gain a tech level, any research points that spill over are add to
the research into the next technology level.
- Difficulty levels have been adjusted to make them more slightly easier on the
lower levels as many players were finding Spartan too hard.
- Some players with colour blindness were having problems telling the
difference between the morale indicators in battle. The icons are not very big
so we did not have many options, but we have tried to differentiate the symbols
with shape as much as colour to assist any colour blind players.
- A crash on below min spec machines has been fixed relating to smoke from
sieges & castle walls. It was related to the machines not supporting the
Pentium Pro instruction, but we have found a work around.
- AI bug where AI would sometimes forget about its armies has been fixed.
These armies would freeze and never move again on the campaign map.
- AI bug where the AI would sometimes constantly change its mind about who to
attack has been fixed.
- A city in Orestis that had a lumber mill but no wood resources has been given
wood level 3.