At the moment, the performance of Rust is bad. It often runs with issues on many systems that should handle the game. The reason for this problem is, that Rust is in the alpha phase and the developers optimize the performance later, after they have added most of the features.
But if you want to know how to improve your FPS, just follow this guide:
- Right click on Rust in your Steam library and chose Properties.
- Click "Set launch options..."
- Paste in the following text in the text field:
-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded -force-driver-type-warp -force-gfx-direct
- Press "OK".
- Click on the tab "Local Files".
- Click on "Browse local files...".
- Open the file config.cfg in the folder "cfg".
- Now change every line with grass (the first six lines) from true to false, it should look like this:
- Save the file.
- Start the game.
The grass is disabled now, but this normally should improve your FPS alot.