Weekly Wrap-up Highlights #3:
02/29/2016 - 03/06/2016
I've been neck deep into performance and UI polishing this week so don't really have anything visual to share with that work right now. So I've decided I'm going to share some of the animation work I had previously done but not shared with everyone here yet.
I ended up losing 2 days this week due to me entirely screwing up the build environment. I went to upgrade some of the components and somehow that blew everything apart. I've rebuilt everything and upgraded the tools, not much really changed, but at least it's a clean environment again.
Despite my efforts to get in my own way, I was able to get these things wrapped up this week:
- [BUG] When purchasing multiple of the same item then equipping it, the highlight that is used to show it equipped was being applied to each of the items despite only one being equipped.
- [BUG] Fixed a couple minor bugs in the conversation window.
- [UPDATE] Changed shields to be gloves since not all character sprites will be wearing shields.
- [UPDATE] Spent some time to work on some performance and memory improvements with smaller devices again. This will continue to be a work in progress as play-testing continues.
- [UPDATE] Changed how sound effects are loaded for multiple effects of the same type. Previously the sound file for each one was being loaded and being played overlapping. This didn't really provide any benefit and actually caused load-lag on smaller devices. Now, when there are multiples of the same sound being played at the same time, only one will actually be loaded and played.
- [UPDATE] Did some changes to the UI components to improve their loading speed and performance when being open.
- [UPDATE] Spent significant time working on frame rates again. I've better separated the physics from the basic display rendering and improved the frame independence of the game as a whole. It's not quite perfect, but did seem to make a good improvement.
- [UPDATE] Made the volume sliders have a bigger button for smaller screen's. They were too hard to touch on the smaller screen's with the original size.
With further ado, here are some monster animations. Enjoy!
Minotaur out for a walk
Original Minotaur attack
This was the first version I made. At the time it felt fine, but over time I found that he felt a bit stiff looking. I went onto making another version later; see below.
Updated Minotaur Attack
I decided to exaggerate his back reach quite a bit more and made his follow-through a bit smoother. I also made some adjustments to his legs during the entire sequence which I believe are smoother now also. In the end I do much prefer the new one over the original. I haven't been back to revisit this one for a while, but with most of the animations, I plan on going back multiple times to continue to improve them as needed.
If you're interested in reading more about Mischieviots, or catching up on older posts, feel free to visit us at: