Today is a great day. The first Space Crew’s alpha version is available for the use and enjoyment of everybody. We have added lots of technical and visual improvements to this version. Let me tell you this with more details.
What does this new version include?
- Optimized Code: All the code in this version has been rewritten instead of resolving some bugs, so we can avoid possible future errors. Our programmers have rewritten in a month the work of eight months, so a big cheer for them!
- New repair system: The repair system has some important changes. In the past, it used a random element to determinate whether the player had repaired the system or not when they released the repair button. Now, the repair is accumulative: releasing the button doesn’t lose your progress. This allows the players to collaborate on the repairing of the same breakdown.
- Progressive fire: Now, the fire becomes smaller when the player starts to extinguish it.
- Optimized networking: We’ve improved the networking to solve lag problems and a bug that prevented us from playing two games in a row.
- Medic class: We unlocked the medic class. You’ll be able to heal your mates with hammer blows while they are repairing other stuff. Also, he heals faster in the medic device.
- Spectator mode: We’ve implemented a spectator mode. When the player dies, he can watch the game from the perspective of the players left alive. It’s fun to watch how the spaceship makes your crewmates suffer.
- New models and animations for the sealing door: We’ve introduced a new animation and model for the sealing door. Now, the players will have clear that the room is sealed when they use the fire fighting device.
- New character model and animations: We’ve created new models for the first person and third person view. Before this, we used the same model for both views. That caused cuts in the body of our character when we used the hyperspacial jump or when we looked at the ground. We solved that problem introducing a new model only for the first person view. We also made a new 3D model for the third person view and improved their animations. Now, our alien is less big-headed and more adorable.
- New FXs and music: We improved the blow sound and synchronized it with the repairment animation. We also added some songs to some situations: when there’s only one hyperspacial jump left to reach the space port, when the player is close to death, when a meteorite is approaching. We added a song too for the lobby scene.
We hope that you like our first alpha version of Space Crew. It costed us a lot of effort and hard work. We want to thank all the people that have supported us and have tested the previous versions. Without you it wouldn’t have been possible. You have our more sincere ninja love.
If you want to be one of our beta testers, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your complete name. We’ll add your email to a Google Group where we have all the information about Space Crew and download links.
We’ll continue working hard to improve Space Crew. We’ll upload a big actualization on a few months with a new game mode, a new map and more features. Meanwhile, you can send us your feedback on the actual version.
Ninja Code Team