For the past three weeks, we have been busy on numerous things. Here’s the breakdown:
• Input overhaul (pretty much nothing new on the surface, but a necessary improvement):
The primary purposes for this implementation was to have better support for stacked menus and easier support for adding different inputs, since we are still designing some of the controls. For menus, simply pressing the menu button (escape/gamepad start) should close each menu layer starting from the top. Previously, I was doing sort of a swapping system where nothing overlaid but traded places. This was much more tedious and inputs would carry out of menus if not delayed, for example attacking after clicking a ‘done’ button.
-Fixed bug as a result:
-When looting containers the correct menu is selected at first (loot inventory). Previously, the first time opening the menu would always fail and select your own inventory menu. It was a minor inconvenience that would start to become more of a nuisance the more sessions you’d play.
• Dual-wielding progress:
- Finally setup equipping of only one item per hand.
- While wielding a 2-handed weapon, you cannot use items equipped in the opposite hand. The other item will be considered idle or hidden, although it can easily be used by swapping the 2-handed weapon to a one-handed weapon or nothing. An example of this in action would be a shield placed on your back.
- Start of Arm Cripple Effects: Crippling an opponent's arm may cause them to drop what they are holding in the corresponding hand! Currently, this consists of weapons, shields, or torches.
- Inventory UI now displays the equip ‘E' on the side matching the equip hand. Equip hand is also shown in the item info panel.
- Quickslots now correspond to the relative hand (eg. left weapon slot for left hand) instead of the right slot always referring to the dominant-hand.
- For feedback, item slots with an idle/hidden item will be shaded darker to let you know that although it may be equipped, it is currently unusable.
Quickslot display: Unusable Bombs & Usable Claymore
- Item save data now records what hand an item was equipped in.
• Progress on the Town:
This includes some buildings within (all WIP), most importantly the stables! There's also a stable boy house (so the groomer can live right close by to their job, without the housing worries).
• A recreated Blend Shapes system to help reduce the amount of clipping between equip instances.
For blend shapes, we’ve setup the tunic, pants, and gambesons to morph based on equipped armor pieces. Take a look:
• Updated clothing bones to match character pivots and setup editor options to spawn different equip instances based on a character’s gender. Started making the female’s tunic equip instance (man shirt too big).
• Ragdoll improvements:
- Previously, the last height you were located at when turning ragdoll would be the height you would return to when recovering. This would result in flying back in the air if knocked off a ledge.
- When flying airborne, you will remain in ragdoll until coming in contact with the ground. Previously, you would recover after a short time, wherever you were, even mid-flight.
- Also, the player ragdoll camera pop seems to be fixed. Before, a player recovering from ragdoll would cause a single frame camera pop occasionally.
• Misc Bug fixes & Improvements:
- Unity Tip: Now using animatePhysics on character animators. As we are using triggers for our weapon collisions, we have noticed a significant improvement to the collision accuracy especially during lower frame rates. This makes sense since it shifts the animation updating to the physics update loop, which is frame-rate independent.
- New NPCs now have a chance to be lefty.
- Opening & closing books now plays open/close sounds correctly.
- Console now returns to the previous timescale the game was running at when closed. When the game is paused, with F8, entering and exiting the console will keep the game paused.
- Limb cripple HUD only displays when a limb is crippled now. Fades in when a limb is crippled, fades out when all crippled limbs are recovered.
- Single-player Heartbeat audio will now start to fade in when hitting 25% Health instead of 50%.
- Fixed bug where shoes would no longer lose condition from footsteps.
- Disabled colliders on potion equip instances as they were incorrectly blocking incoming attacks.
- Lots of misc UI tweaks: more pronounced drop shadows, outlines, position tweaks, and larger font sizes. (See UI images above)
- Quickslots now update when equipping items in the inventory screen and when dropping an item that is in either slot.
- Weapon attacks now take into account the actual weapon's stamina amount used in each hand instead of the weapon that was swapped to last. Previously equipping a Claymore and then swapping to a potion in the other hand, would allow you to attack with ridiculous ease!
- Setup the All-Item chest in the Playground to actually acquire all items from the item database, unlike before.
- Setup preliminary Grass footstep sounds, instead of just playing the dirt ones.
And in conclusion, we leave you with some screenshots:
Have a great weekend and just a friendly reminder, you can vote for us on Steam Greenlight. (: