this weekend, while arguing with people about the game industry and how shit it is, i spent some time working on SUBSISTENCE again, after having a little self-realization that the game is super close to being playable to an extent that i'd be comfortable with a massive public release.
since many SUBSISTENCE animations are temp, i decided to put some focus on the animations for this update.
- the running animations are completely new
- i added a different backwards movement animation
- i added a charge shot animation for the ground and for the air
- the gameplay has been solidified a lot-- some gameplay exploits have been removed and the experience itself feels much more concentrated
- the movement engine, collision system, and Denise's physics have been completely re-written to improve control and comfort
- Gearbeasts's screen-shake system has been ported over for charge shots and confirmed melee hits
the game feels a lot more solid to me now that more animations have been put in place and the gameplay has been refined. the next update will include some more aesthetic effects, and maybe reworked AI? i haven't decided yet. it might even be something completely different. let's just wait and see.
(sorry about some of the really bad lag / slowdown in the video, my computer was not being super cooperative during recording.)