No time has been wasted since the original mention of Starlink last week. The procedurally generated tactical real-time strategy game will be out on Desura shortly, for all 3 platforms -- PC, Mac, and Linux.
Not sure what Starlink is but curious enough to find out? Here's the gist of it:
- You start each match in a procedurally generated galaxy.
- You control stars that produce ships.
- You can direct those ships to other nearby stars in order to capture them.
- More stars = more ships!
- Ships can only travel along hyperspace routes, and the number of ships that can leave each star system is limited on a per-second basis (so attacking from multiple directions is useful!)
- Stars can have anomalies around them that give positive or negative effects.
- You can choose to bring abilities with you into each match that add greater variety and often change the way you play the game. Teleport? Check. Stealth? Oh yeah. Defense/offense? Of course. There are even abilities that let you reshape the galaxy by adding and removing hyperspace routes.
- You can play with your friends, and it's completely cross-platform -- so all your PC/Mac/Linux/Android friends will be able to play with you (iOS as well when it gets approved!)