We made a huge jump in the past couple of weeks. Several artists finished their work and we could put in many things at the same time. You've seen the new visuals and rocks we have in our tutorial level. We've got more of that this week. But we also thought it would be super fun to develop a story around this week's dev diary. So we dove into the game's lore and came up with a narrator that utters a promise towards the Sarahul. And we illustrated that promise he makes with our new visuals and places we have in the game. We all worked very hard to get to this state and we're very happy how it turned out.
Of course this is still pre-alpha work. Everything you see is heavily being worked on. We still have issues with the character, dynamic cloth, hairs, animations, there are lots of other construction sites as well. But we felt like celebrating what we achieved so far. Especially if you take a look where we came from just a few months ago!
- Nearly completed the tutorial level and help subtitles.
- Completed the cave section and added light shafts to holes in the ceiling.
- Added new lighting to the tutorial level with a sunlight and 3 fill lights to create atmosphere and mood.
- Added sounds to a door with a timing mechanism to learn one of the game's controls.
- Added sounds to a pack of scarab bugs.
- Implemented the real model for the drawbridge and the timing mechanism button door.
- Implemented a rock nerved with crystal chunks that will have a special gameplay role in the game.
- Added the main character with hair, re-targeted run forward animation, and dynamic cloth.
- Added camera shake controller that shakes the camera on gameplay evens such as the drawbridge fall down (I don't need to simulate this manually with the mouse anymore ;)
- Many more little additions, fixes, and programming features.
- We continued work on an AWESOME dynamic wind system that makes grass and other things shake realistically in the wind.
We're going to wrap up the tutorial and give it out to a closed group of testers to get their feedback on the controls and the tutorial level in the next 2-3 weeks. And now enjoy this dev diary special edition :)
Narrator of The Promise sounds like Kiefer Sutherland in Dark City (I love Kiefer in that movie).
Haha, thanks a lot for that compliment! I feel honored.
It's actually me (the guy who also talks at the beginning) with some audio effects applied.
Help us spread the word about this project, show it to your friends, tell them about the game. Help us get more fans to like our Facebook page. Can you help us get to 200 fans by Sunday 27th?
If we make it to 200 fans for our Facebook page by Sunday 27th Jan, we'll give away 5 pre-alpha access keys to the tutorial level among you who shared this post and brought other people here to like us!!! You'll be able to play the game and comment on it! Do you like certain areas? Controls intuitive? Are passages too difficult? Do you have ideas for puzzles? You'll get the chance of making your opinion heard!
So excited to see how this is coming along! Keep up the awesome work :)
If you ask me, the voice actor for the narration part is extremly bad! I'd suggest you to search for someone capable of voice acting... just my two cents :)
hehehe good work i think this game will be good tracking and thx for linux support