I'm finally doing something interesting today, so I decided to talk about it in a development log. I'm been studying a lot of game animations, but mainly that of MapleStory, and trying to incorporate the fluidity of their animation style into Nin Online. As for now, After some practice, I've created a style I personally like and think fits Nin Online well.
I've used it for the animations below...
Level Up Animation
This is how I designed it in Photoshop.
This is how it is programmed in-game.
This animation will play on your character each time you level up. I'm not completely satisfied with it as of yet, so consider it a WIP. I believe it should be a hell lot grander.
Critical / Dodge / Miss Animations
These I like a lot. I believe good animations will really add on to the whole battle experience in Nin Online. The critical animation is intentionally a little Ragnarok Online inspired
This is a little preview of the art seen in this development log, working together in-game.
The principles I've incorporated into these animations, which hasn't been widely incorporated into previous animations are..
- Breaking away from being overly traditional and only using Pixel line art and shading.
- Motion Blurs to create more intense effects with less frames.
- For certain elements, I try to use good timed scaling to create an effect of Squishyness.
- For other elements, I tried to create an effect of Elasticity with well timed easing.
- Still maintaining the love I give all my animations, and still working on them as frame-by-frame animations.
I hope you guys like this. Feel free to give your feedback.
Also, if there are any web developers interested in coding our new homepage, please PM me!