Hi all. Ship builder is my newest project. I see this as a lite version to test many of the ideas I would like to see in the full fat, open world game I call Stellar Commander. While SC is a crazy idea that exists on paper only (and a few months worth of prototyping), Ship Builder is a functional ship building game which allows you to build a ship from various parts, fly it around in space and walk around the inside as the captain.
While current "gameplay" is limited, in future updates I am planning:
- Actual gameplay
- Multiplayer arena combat
- Destructible ship parts and gradual degradation
- Crew members that boost/penalise your ship stats (yes, they can die. No, they won't walk around doing things)
- Loot to collect to upgrade your ship (probably parts)
- Currency so parts cost money
- Proper flow to the game (buy a templated ship or build a new one)
- Some kind of progress/persistence
- Some way to make money
As you can see from the list of goals, it's all quite a work in progress in terms of specific game mechanics. What I wanted to establish first was whether Unity could support some of the sandbox building ideas I had in mind, and having now done that I need to better understand the scope of what I want to achieve and what features I want to include. While the sky could be the limit, I want to keep Ship Builder small and focussed.