So the past few weeks I've been working on the engine's editor. After many trials and tribulations, it's finally coming together! Lloyd and I will be having a level design session very soon, and once we get some ideas down we'll begin building some levels to show you guys. The engine is technically advanced as it is right now, and soon you'll see that in the screenshots to come. The editor has been taking longer than expected to code, but it's been worth it.
Here's a breakdown of what each icon does:
- 4 arrows - Camera panning and zooming (zoom by holding control)
- Arrow/pointer - Pick entity, move entity, scale entity and rotate entity
- Lightbulb - Toggle lightmap on/off
- Pencil - Edit entity properties
- Trash can - Delete entity
- R-Lock - Lock rotation
- S-Lock - Lock scale
- Z-lock - Select game layer objects only
The buttons are pretty much self explanatory, and I'm sure I'll end up adding more buttons soon. We want the editor to be a really visual thing - primarily because we want to be able to create levels on touch screen devices. Of course, there are keyboard and mouse shortcuts to speed things up on the PC.
Lloyd has also been hard at work on some assets, and has recently got the train and some trailers done.