This week we increased the resolution of the wood log. To conserve storage space, and to make it easier to iterate on, the wood log was very pixelated. We are certain that this is an object that will make it into the final game, so it was time to make it look smoother.
We also improved the appearance of the explosion. The first version is actually a spell effect from one of our previous games. For the new explosion, we started with a stock particle effect. Our artist kept adjusting the effect until it had the appearance we were looking for. A bit of screen shake was added, and the final explosion effect was complete.
Late in the week, we discovered that the game objects and the tilemap were misaligned with each other. A game object, when converted to tile coordinates, always had an awkward fraction in its x/y value. Because of rounding errors, this could have caused visual artifacting. It also made it difficult to debug certain problems.
To fix the alignment problem, our programmer created a tool that repositioned objects. With a single click, all the misaligned objects in a level straightened out. We repeated this process for each level and objects are now lined up to the grid.
We also finally have a Steam page for the game! You can check it out here: Store.steampowered.com