Part 3 of Watch Over her went up yesterday, so be sure to check it out!
Continuing my trend of "doing crap that's long overdue", this week I tackled the initial implementation for mappable keybindings. These get saved to the player's profile so if multiple people are playing on the same installation they should be able to just load up their profile and not re-bind anything. I also had to make a new UI widget to support mapping keyboard input to a command. I took the liberty of building it myself because Todd has a ton on his plate right now.
I've got a fair bit more to go on this, but the basic logic is in place and working. And it doesn't look completely awful (I told you it'd be fine Todd!).
Aside from working on the Chronicles I have been continuing the process of switching over to the PBR shaders, with that said I have the barracks exterior to show today. I might still tweak the walls a bit more but this at least gives you a sense for how much more dynamic the PBR is. I am also beginning to understand the need for multiple reflection probes on each building, as it helps to dull some of the oddness that comes from the box projection. (PBR shaders on the left, old shaders on the right)
This week I will show you the end of the hospital’s modeling process. Up to this point I had been taking Todd’s concept and making it an asset for use in the engine. That had included the early block-out followed by a more refined model. Detail is added slowly until it is complete and needs to be optimized. Once optimization is complete, I can unwrap the model. So here we have the finished, untextured model in the 3d modeling software, not in engine:
After this is the unwrapping portion of our asset creation. Now, because we are making a certain game with a fixed camera, some things will be closer to the camera. So those things will need more texture space. So once all the geometry is unwrapped with as little warping as possible, the giant tetris game begins as i try to layout all the tiny (and quite a few not so tiny) pieces. Hopefully this means that everything fits in the required texture space, with as little spare room as possible. Any unused texture space is basically a waste of cpu resources down the line, so you better be good at tetris. With the unwrapping complete, I can take a look at any obvious warping on easy to see spots, make any adjustments as necessary, and then I will make a quick texture test to see if there is anything staring me in the face.
Everything looks good here, so now I can pass it off to Todd so he can give it that hand painted look we like so much.