Check out our trailer! Youtu.be
(What’s New?) A list of what has changed this week (tweaked mechanics, added content, etc).
- We are lucky enough to be working with a composer, who's music is now incorporated into our game!
- We have changed the beat patterns to match the new music, as well as to be more intuitive.
- Fixed the bug of enemies getting stuck in front of curtained off areas.
- Added more landmarks to both make triggers more easily findable as well as prevent players from getting lost.
- We have altered lighting and theming to give the game a creepier vibe. This included making torches blue, providing less light overall as well as dimming the point light of the player.
- We added hiding rooms in level 1 to make it easier for players to get away from enemy (now you can't lose if you get stuck in the hallway with the trigger on level 1)
- For the hiding areas we added light, changed the texture, and also made the curtains transparent, thus providing more hints to the player that they are a safe space to be.
- You can now use the d-pad as well as the joystick to control direction of movement.
- When players die, they will now resume by being able to enter the last room they attempted.
- Lowered the volume for the death music (sorry guys!)
- We began adding voice acting for player guidance, as well as story.
(What’s the Motivation?) A discussion / summary of why you made these changes. Where is your project headed?
A lot of the updates made this week were bug-fixes as well as feedback we received from play-testing. In addition, we worked to incorporate the new music into the game. Last week we mentioned our ultimate goal was to make the game feel more scary, which we have worked hard to achieve this week. Additionally, last week we mentioned that we added torches as landmarks; however, even with these in place, people still seemed to be getting lost. Therefore we added a variety of landmarks to help the player know where they are. Players didn't seem to know that the curtained areas were safe; therefore we changed the texture to make the areas seem a bit more pleasant and welcoming. We just started adding in some voice acting because we hope this will both immerse the player in the world, as well as understand controls and be given more player guidance.
(What’s Next?) What changes you plan to make for the next iteration.
In future iterations, we hope to add more juice to really make the game as scary as possible. We see the game having more story an initial cutscene to immerse the player into the world. Finally, we had a meeting with our composer last week and we are all finally on the same page about the final state of the music. Although their music is incorporated into this iteration, this is not the final version that we will be using. But, we are so excited to incorporate the final music in the next iteration! Additionally, we hope to more voice acting into the game, further helping the player understand tools and bring them into the story.