Hello! Those of you who frequently check Sidekick may have noticed that Build 5 was released yesterday.
With it, we’ve released a new game mode! You clamoured for a free-for-all mode in Blade Symphony, and we have delivered: “Freelance,” a hybrid between free-for-all and duels.
In Freelance mode, everyone can attack everyone else. However, you can challenge anyone to a duel by using the new challenge button (vs_challenge - you’ll need to bind it in the options). If they accept, you’ll be in a private duel - you can only damage each other.
Additionally, we’ve added a new type of map - free_ maps. Since FFA does not work with the three-arena setup of our existing maps, map type will now determine gameplay mode. duel_ maps are restricted to Duel mode only, and free_ maps can be either (single-arena) Duel or FFA. To go with this, we’ve added a single-arena version of box called free_box.
You’ll also notice we’ve added some new HUD elements (especially for the challenge mechanic) and in general, redesigned our HUD elements to look a little bit less scruffy.
Plus: more swords, persistent XP and titles, bugfixes and sound changes! Here’s the full changelog:
Additions & Changes:
- Added a Freelance (FFA + Private Duel) game mode where all players start in a large deathmatch style arena and are able to challenge other players to a duel. Requires a map restart.
- Game mode is now determined by the map name. For example duel_monastery will always run as a duel-only map. Whereas, free_box will run as an FFA+Duel map.
- Renamed “box” to “duel_box”
- New keyboard command vs_challenge bound to C by default. Can issue duel challenges to players in Freelance mode.
- Added free_box map for testing free for all and private duels.
- Added box.vmf to serve as a reference point for Blade Symphony mappers.
- [#3276] Added a message explaining a time limit to changing sword models.
- Added a round end notification which shows how much experience and rating a player has earned.
- Added earned titles based on experience points which are append the player’s name on the scoreboard. A list of experience points and titles can be found here.
- Changed most heads-up display messages and user-interface elements to use a newer, prettier version with cool sounds and effects.
- Changed ambient effects in Library arena in Monastery to be louder.
- Changed attacks that are un-blockable to have a red-orange tracer coming from the sword.
- Added a new sword: Caduceus Chord
- Added a new sword: Minecraftian Minuet
- [#3324] Fixed a bug which caused the player’s choice of character to not stick when initially spawning with tournament game mode on.
- [#3346] [#3347] Fixed some small issues with Character Selection Notifications.
- Fixed a timing issue which caused Reverse String 2 to be really difficult to hit with when attacking with Tier 3.
- Fixed stance and string HUD so it displays correctly on at least 768px tall resolution.
As usual, the updated server package is available in this thread.
Oh, and because we think you’re awesome, here’s a new beta key for you and your friends. It’s valid for 200 uses, so get one quick:
(Use it at Blade-symphony.com)